Class on B.O.B. Communications

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all,

In our ongoing studies of all things related to the B.O.B., I would like to ask if anyone who has sufficient knowledge would be willing to teach a class on HAM, Shortwave, Medium-Wave, Long-Wave, Citizen's Band, FRS, GMRS and other forms of communication that we all want to use, but few understand.

If any of you feel up to it, let me know, and I will see if I can plan and even host a session where we all come to learn.

Remember, a rising tide raises all boats.

Jestik

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to offer anything constructive to such a meeting but I might be interested in being a silent observer. I don't know anything about communications.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might want to define your needs. If you want to communicate without a license you would probably want to look into FRS or CB. Of course, in a SHTF, I doubt anyone from the FCC will be checking. At least at the onset.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Basic Citizen's Band is about as simple as it gets. There are, however, side bands (frequencies within/between frequencies) to CB that are not well understood by most. I don't claim to know much about them, although I do know these side bands will walk all over the standard frequency bands. Perhaps someone that can understand or build kickers (power boosters) that can increase the range.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

What I am talking about is having someone from the community who really knows comms to step up and teach a class on comms that covers the entire spectrum of options out there.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With enough warning and prep time I would be happy to provide an overview of radio type communications, what to expect in an emergency and what basic equipment you might want to obtain. I've been a Ham since the '70s, currently hold a lifetime FCC commercial radiotelephone operators license and have experience in a variety of different communications modes. Let me know what the group wants.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was converted to a General when they did away with the First class requirements. There are no requirements for a license of any kind to work on transmitters now since they did away with them several years ago. I have worked everything from Commercial Broadcast to Land Mobile in my career. Now it is up to the transmitter owner to certify that you know what you are doing. The FCC still has stringent requirements on signal purity and power levels, but no license required to do the work anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom