Class on B.O.B. Communications

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep toying with this idea but I hate just showing up out of the blue and not knowing anybody ... :disappoin

Which club are you are you a member of? When do you meet? Can I meet you there and sit with ya? And do I have to join that night? I got some card in the mail from one of the local groups saying I'd been a member for a year for free and now I needed to pay up ... LOL ... I guess I missed that part when I tested! :D Anyway, I lost the card and so now I'm not a member anywhere ... :nolike:

I'll be honest, since I passed the test, all my radio stuff has just kinda been on the back burner. Been working on the course work for herbal and natural healing ... but I need to not let that ham radio stuff get away from me. I'd really like to go ahead and test for extra and get it out of the way. I'd also like to get a base unit set up here in the house. The only radio I have now is in the Suburban ... the neighbors look at me funny when I just sit in the truck in the driveway fiddling with dials ... :lookaroun :wink2:

I belong to the FAA club, http://w5paa.net/. It meets the First Thursday of every month. Meetings are held at the OKC Fire/Police Training Center at 800 N Portland.

I'd be thrilled to have you as a guest, but I usually have to work a little late on Thursday evenings. I did manage to make the meeting this last Thursday night, was the first time in several months. I hope to make next months meeting but won't know for sure if I can make it or not until the last minute. My work schedule is, we don't get to go home until all the patients are taken care of.

Paul, N5PT, announced that there are several clubs, including ours, having classes in the very near future. You might want to check out the website http://w5paa.net/ and also http://hamholiday.com/ for a link of other clubs in the OKC area.

Good night, bed time.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I belong to the FAA club, http://w5paa.net/. It meets the First Thursday of every month. Meetings are held at the OKC Fire/Police Training Center at 800 N Portland.

I'd be thrilled to have you as a guest, but I usually have to work a little late on Thursday evenings. I did manage to make the meeting this last Thursday night, was the first time in several months. I hope to make next months meeting but won't know for sure if I can make it or not until the last minute. My work schedule is, we don't get to go home until all the patients are taken care of.

Paul, N5PT, announced that there are several clubs, including ours, having classes in the very near future. You might want to check out the website http://w5paa.net/ and also http://hamholiday.com/ for a link of other clubs in the OKC area.

Good night, bed time.

I understand about the work schedule ... I'll put this on my calendar and holler at you a couple days before. If you can't be there, that's okay. I'll just sit in the back and check it out. Thanks for the invite. :)

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

In our ongoing studies of all things related to the B.O.B., I would like to ask if anyone who has sufficient knowledge would be willing to teach a class on HAM, Shortwave, Medium-Wave, Long-Wave, Citizen's Band, FRS, GMRS and other forms of communication that we all want to use, but few understand.

If any of you feel up to it, let me know, and I will see if I can plan and even host a session where we all come to learn.

Remember, a rising tide raises all boats.

Jestik

I am an amateur radio operator and have taught a few of the licensing prep class for the FAA Club. I don't know that I can cover "all" of those areas, but I am certainly willing to pitch in where I can.

Allen
AE5C

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far we have a lot of interest and two folks willing to lead the class. BB has agreed to service us with food and drinks. The next question is what and when and where?

I'd be willing to host it at my house again, but I don't have room for like 15-20 people unless we REALLY want to get to know one another.

Thoughts?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about teaching a class at this deal?

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?190014-Any-interest-in-a-Bugout-Weekend

We could maybe get a couple of classes going and people could attend them all at one spot. Example: comms, map reading, how to use a compass, gardening lessons learned, etc.

If we have too many classes, we can run them parallel and people can choose which ones they are more interested in. Just a suggestion.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a commo and electronic warfare guy for my entire 22 years in the USAF...but most of my experience was with long haul, high bandwidth/power stuff...or localized active/passive jamming systems. I can throw my 2 cents in, but would deferr to someone who specialized in man portable, long/short range personal comm systems.

I'll say that if we are talking about B.O.B systems, then that really limits the scope of systems worth discussing. Commo is a big scary world just like prepping. But just like prepping, you can/should figure out your basic needs first and build in small chunks. I truly think, in the context of a B.O.B and depending on the size of the group, most folks could get buy with a FRS system...I don't think you'll be too excited to throw a HAM system into your rucksack LOL.

The larger converation/learning could occur in the realm of understanding of RF propagation, modulation principles, bandwidth requirements (and the corresponding effects on transmitter power requirements), antenna types etc...

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some QRP (Very low power) transceivers out there that cover the ham bands. Lots of back packers carry them to the mountain tops with their camping gear. A solar charger and some NIMH batteries will work fine in that case. I took a QRP rig to Colorado and set it up on a mountain top in the San Juans about 32 years ago while bear hunting. I talked with Hams in England and Australia on 5 watts of power with a wire antenna strung up in a tree. I don't see ham radio or any other longer range radio communications as being of much value while you are fleeing from what ever the catastrophe was that got you. I see radio being of much more value once you get situated in your redoubt or fortress. Knowing what you want and need helps you sort through all the things you might find scavenging the leftovers. It also gives you a chance to add things to your cache for later retrieval and use. Being able to keep abreast of what is happening in other parts of the world after the event helps you plan for oncoming events.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No argument from me over the value of long range commo...but that kind of gear should, like you said, be cached or already situated at your bug out location (if you're bugging out you should have a predetermined location right? LOL).

How much does the lightest backpacking HAM rig with batteries and charger weigh and how much will they set you back in $$?

Latest posts

Top Bottom