Class on B.O.B. Communications

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to offer anything constructive to such a meeting but I might be interested in being a silent observer. I don't know anything about communications.

This is a perfect description of the position I find myself in at the moment.

With enough warning and prep time I would be happy to provide an overview of radio type communications, what to expect in an emergency and what basic equipment you might want to obtain. I've been a Ham since the '70s, currently hold a lifetime FCC commercial radiotelephone operators license and have experience in a variety of different communications modes. Let me know what the group wants.

That's very generous of you. I'd love to sit in and lilsten to anything you have to say ...

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Radar stuff is what I cut my teeth on, not maritime, but Military Autotrack. After I got out of the USAF, I worked at Lear Seigler at their component overhaul and repair center here in OKC. I worked everything that came in house from airborne radio and radar to rebuilding servo motors. they were a sweat shop for sure, paid next to nothing, but that was just after the space program shutdown when NASA engineers couldn't find a job. I went to work for Ma Bell and the rest is history. One of the jobs I went into with Bell required a commercial FCC license. When I put in for it, they told me I wasn't qualified, as I had to have the FCC license. I produced my license and they wanted to know how I got it since they hadn't sent me to their cheat school in Dallas that taught the test. They couldn't believe that someone could just go down and take the test and pass. They obviously didn't understand what close to 3,000 classroom hours of electronics meant.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, I will be out of pocket the last couple of weeks of April, but otherwise let me know what looks best. We should have others who can contribute as well..

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I can, I would be very interested in attending this. It sounds very instructional for someone that knows next to nothing about the various types of radios.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about coming to a club meeting of one of the local ham radio clubs? Most meet monthly. Classes are offered to assist you in getting the basic ham radio license.

There are lots of members who love to help new people.

Interested?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I encourage anyone wanting to be a Ham to go to a local club meeting and check out the classes offered and the people. (Elmer is the term used for a mentor in Ham radio..) Great bunch of people everywhere. That said, you won't have a presentation directed toward the goals of this group unless a club specifically tailors a meeting with a program designed for this. Club meetings tend to follow a specific pattern, taking care of club business planning for upcoming events, for training, disasters, weather spotting etc. Some of which would certainly be of interest in this group, but clubs don't usually start at the base level in each meeting, they assume (and rightly so) that most of the attendees are operating at a higher skill level. People who want to know the basics of what they need in a SHTF situation will probably not be interested in the normal club meetings, and that is where a presentation from experienced communicators will be of benefit to the group. This presentation needs to have several presenters, as we tend to have tunnel vision in certain areas and having more than one presenter helps eliminate those holes.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, I will be out of pocket the last couple of weeks of April, but otherwise let me know what looks best. We should have others who can contribute as well..

OK ... This is Jestik's party but I'm good whenever. Hey, Jestik ... You see this ... (I'm willing to provide cookies for refreshments and something extra special for the presenters to take home with them! :naughty: :wink2: :rollingla You guys just need to nail down a date so I can have time to prepare ...)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about coming to a club meeting of one of the local ham radio clubs? Most meet monthly. Classes are offered to assist you in getting the basic ham radio license.

There are lots of members who love to help new people.

Interested?

I keep toying with this idea but I hate just showing up out of the blue and not knowing anybody ... :disappoin

Which club are you are you a member of? When do you meet? Can I meet you there and sit with ya? And do I have to join that night? I got some card in the mail from one of the local groups saying I'd been a member for a year for free and now I needed to pay up ... LOL ... I guess I missed that part when I tested! :D Anyway, I lost the card and so now I'm not a member anywhere ... :nolike:

I'll be honest, since I passed the test, all my radio stuff has just kinda been on the back burner. Been working on the course work for herbal and natural healing ... but I need to not let that ham radio stuff get away from me. I'd really like to go ahead and test for extra and get it out of the way. I'd also like to get a base unit set up here in the house. The only radio I have now is in the Suburban ... the neighbors look at me funny when I just sit in the truck in the driveway fiddling with dials ... :lookaroun :wink2:

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB when your truck starts looking like a porcupine with all the antennas is when your neighbors either think you are a nut or maybe some exotic fed.. The hams back east, especially in NJ had a rough time going mobile as the state had a law against any radio in a vehicle capable of picking up police calls.. Most of the synthesized radios could be tweaked for that portion of the band if it didn't already cover it. I think Federal pre-emption fixed it for hams. As far as clubs welcoming you, I don't know of any that would make you feel unwelcome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom