cleaning AR-15 gas tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone have any ideas on how to clean this? does it even need to be cleaned regularly? I didn't find a whole lot about it in my owner's manual for my rifle so I was j/w what ya'lls opinions on it were.

The best I have been able to come up with are those pipe cleaner thingies you can buy at walmart. They are about 12 inches long or so but I didn't have very good luck with them.

:thanku:

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems that the common idea is it doesn't really need cleaned. The hot pressurized gases will keep all the crud from building up.

Evan

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carb cleaner followed by generous lube of any steel parts...only saw one or two rifles that really needed it.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not bother trying to clean it. The port pressure is 12,000 PSI (even higher in the carbines). There is nothing you can do with pipe cleaners or carb cleaner that will do more than the pressure that flows thru it normally. I have been shooting ARs and M16 for 20 years and have never seen a gas tube that was clogged from use. I have seen some clogged when someone jammed a pipe cleaner in one.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you're really feelin gung ho about cleaning it, you could try compressed air. seems like a waste of time though

I am not trying to be difficult, but what do you think that 100 PSI of compressed air is going to blow out of the gas tube that does not blow out with the 12,000+ PSI of gas that goes thru it when you fire it? Just leave the gas tube alone and concentrate on the BCG like ExSniper mentioned. The BCG is where all the crud ends up.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not trying to be difficult, but what do you think that 100 PSI of compressed air is going to blow out of the gas tube that does not blow out with the 12,000+ PSI of gas that goes thru it when you fire it? Just leave the gas tube alone and concentrate on the BCG like ExSniper mentioned. The BCG is where all the crud ends up.

Seems like a waste of time to me, but I've seen people use compressed air.

Latest posts

Top Bottom