Cleaning nickel plated guns??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,
One of my old cowboy buddies told me,he cleans his Colt nickel plated guns....Peacemaker.....with zippo lighter fluid. Then he lightly wipes the outside with zippo, light oil,wipe it off and store it.
They look very good. He's been doing this waaaay before CLP and other modern cleaners.
Basically,stay away from ammonia.
Cohiba

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I see it .....he's been doing this quite some time. Maybe 40+ years and he probably see's no need to change. I don' agree with him....just wanted to know if any old timers....or anyone else has ever heard of cleaning nickel plated guns with zippo...or cigarette lighter fluid? That's all. Don't know why he chose lighter fluid....I guess he thought it was better than what was being sold in the late 1940's??
Cohiba

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cause in the forties the lighter fluid was probably about 25 cents a gallon. while gun solvent was 50 cents for a little bottle.
and they also knew if you let it soak in some solvents like Hoppes #9 for a few days the plating would come off.

cigman1st

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a kid I played a nickle plated trumpet and the instrument store sold a polishing cloth that was burgundy color on one side and yellow/tan on the other. The burgundy side had a compound embedded in the cloth, nothing abrasive, that you would polish with it and wipe with the yellow/tan side. I would clean all my nickle S&Ws with hoppes, wipe them down afterward to remove gunk and crude. When they were clean, I oiled the parts that needed and polished with the two sided cloth.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to go "old school" on cleaning nickel plated guns, stick with Ballistol.

If you want something modern Eezox or CLP, though I don't know what the solvent part of CLP is, but I doubt that it would hurt nickel.
Hoppes #9 and all the copper solvents will jack up the nickel for sure.

Now naptha would sure work, but there's zero corrosion protection afterwards so you'll have to oil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom