Gun Oil Corrosion Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm. CLP as a corrosion protectant looks terrible... May have to go back to the Mobil 1 0w40 european blend I use in my car...

Back when I was just starting to learn about guns, I told the guy that worked at Tulsa Firearms that I used Mobil one on my AR bolt. He thought I was crazy and he said get you some CLP. He said that is what he used in the military...

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mobil 1 works -

Do a Mobil 1 vs Amsoil -

AmsOil is the true synthetic - AMSOIL Signature Series

In vehicles - Mobil 1 Fully Synth. does well to 10k or just over then starts to break down in base numbers. AmsOils retains longer. But you can't beat the availability of the top Mobil 1 and price diff..

But, a bottle of AmsOil for firearms would last a good long time.

Really need to do a comparison on WeaponShield and FrogLube. Both oils and greases. Then add in Brian Enos Slide Glide......

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wolf, I am an Amsoil dealer and have been using just about everything they make for about 15 years now. The Mobil 1 Extended Performance is the same group IV base stocks as Amsoil. Amsoil beats them by using a better additive package, much better in a lot of cases. Now the Mobil 1 oils that are not in the "Extended Performance" line are just group III hydrocracked base stocks. The reason I used Mobil 1 for this test is because it's readily available at wally world and such.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmm. CLP as a corrosion protectant looks terrible... May have to go back to the Mobil 1 0w40 european blend I use in my car...

Back when I was just starting to learn about guns, I told the guy that worked at Tulsa Firearms that I used Mobil one on my AR bolt. He thought I was crazy and he said get you some CLP. He said that is what he used in the military...

Just because the military uses it doesn't mean it's the best. Motor oil works great on an AR. Many 3 gunners use Mobil 1 and they run their guns hard. Even better is a 60/40 blend of motor oil and ATF. But I'm really digging the Frog Lube and Fireclean.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understood from synth. engineers that even the EP Mobil Syn had some form of dyno base. But anything is possible. and Yes sir, good product to be had at Wally world and why you compared it.

Nice work.

I see some slide glide in the back hiding too.................you want to try some TW25B vs Slide Glide vs Wpn Shield vs Frog vs ??

TulsaGeoff - how many gun persons have you been around that tell you they KNOW how to shoot cuz they've been "trained" ??

Mobil 1 in firearms is "outside the box" - and why STP, Fram and Armor-All is still sold in stores, or even exist today......

Shadow - got some Militec 1 too.......to add to the greases and oils above. be a 'fun' PART 2. just a thought

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a benefit to heating a surface before treating it with other oils? Like if you heated a slide up with a hair dryer before rubbing it down with Mobile 1 would it change anything?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a test like that a couple years ago.
the mobil 1 i used and the atf and the blend of the 2 had the worst rust of them all
I have frog lube now...
I used CLP and quicksilver 2 cycle..those 2 were the best..
I did not heat the mild steel and i polished it to shiny....Wiped on and wiped off lightly.
I did not use extended performance mobil1
On The oil analysis sight i seen that the extended performance had more molly in it..

Thanks for your test...
Now i need to do another one.
And i should say try your oil in your own test before you think it is good..You veer off from what the tester did and used you may not get the same results..

Latest posts

Top Bottom