Closing day ML

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I did it again? I was out checking cameras and to regain my self-confidence since my last miss I set up a bag of corn and moved back to 330 yards and shot an excellent 3 shot group of 1.5 inches (yes under 1/2 moa) feeling very good and even surprised I pack up and head out toward the gate. I spot a coyote about 150 yards off strolling through a wheat field with out a care in the world. Well I think you know what is coming set up in a nice prone with bipod and miss wide right it was so windy he only looked at the cloud of dust and stood looking. I racked the bolt, but it my rush to get out of the truck I did not seat the magazine well enough and it fell out no second shot and he went under the fence on to the next field.

SO ALL THAT GOOD SHOOTING AND SELF-confidence went to HELL!

I have got to beat this somehow?

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm the same way with a bow. I can punch decent groups up to 60 yards, but in real life I suck. A gun is a different story though...

Take a deep breath, hold for 2 seconds, release breath and pull the trigger. That monkey on your back is kicking your arse. I have seen many good, fundamental shooters fail at the easiest task because they over think it. Imagine that deer/coyote/unicorn as paper and punch that 1.5" group into that paper.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm the same way with a bow. I can punch decent groups up to 60 yards, but in real life I suck. A gun is a different story though...

Take a deep breath, hold for 2 seconds, release breath and pull the trigger. That monkey on your back is kicking your arse. I have seen many good, fundamental shooters fail at the easiest task because they over think it. Imagine that deer/coyote/unicorn as paper and punch that 1.5" group into that paper.

That is what I'm going to do imagine my targets as deer and my deer as targets! I have been acquiring targets and dry firing over the days and I have started aiming at one leaf instead of a branch, a pine cone the lock on the gate and not the gate ect...

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my bow last night to verify it was still on after hunting the last month. My arrow groupings were pretty loose. For the giggles, I imagined a deer stepping into my shooting lane. I drew as I mentally pictured the deer stepping out with it's elbow stopping on the center of my target and I nailed it. Some of us don't take practice seriously enough shot-to-shot (me).

Latest posts

Top Bottom