Colorado Places and Beauty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since our retirement benefits from the state will be a while coming, we've not been running around much. However, I've been on the computer (when the wifi is good) researching places to go see. I knew that there was a place called Beaver Creek State Wildlife Area (and what is part of the Beaver Creek Wildlife Study Area) that is right south of Mountaindale Cabins and RV Resort. So, I got to looking at things about it and it appears that there is only one way into it, and it has to be hiked after one gets to the trailhead.

Here is a bit of information that I found out about the Beaver Creek Wildlife area:

"Beaver Creek WSA is a hop, skip and a jump from many large towns in southern Colorado, sitting just north of Penrose. Easy access off of I25, Hwy 50 and 115, this wilderness study area spans a total of 40,000 acres of uninhabited backcountry. Well, uninhabited except for the largest concentration of Mountain Lions in the state, among other wildlife! In the center of it all is a 7.3 mile hiking loop. This beautiful area is full of dry creek beds, tall canyon walls, pristine flora/fauna and tons of my favorite rock, mica!"

Pay close attention to the part above that is in bold and underlined. Now, here is an image taken from Google Maps that shows the proximity of the Beaver Creek area and Mountaindale Cabins and RV Resort.

So, all the above considered, I suggest that I not step outside and go, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty."

For those that hike, here is a topographical type map showing the hiking loop. It shows it to be something like 7.3 miles around, but another source shows it as 6.9 miles. That same source showing the 6.9 miles also says that it is only 2228 acres set aside for hiking and fishing.

I suspect that the 2228 acres is what is referenced in that last map, and the 40,000 acres is for the entire area, covering parts of El Paso, Fremont, and Teller counties. Here is a link about the smaller area:

Beaver Creek Loop

I thought I would share this for those that like hiking back country.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I hope you find a scenic trout stream.

Up higher in the state, specifically Teller County, Beaver Creek is supposed to be good for trout. There may likely be some in the lower area where the maps are indicating. I was reading about Beaver Creek, and if I remember right, there was a mention of three different kinds of trout. I'll have to check again.

Now, as for "scenic" I can't say as I've not seen either area yet.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it ain't mountain beauty but it has it's own charm and they have speed goats there! Baca County, CO flatlands...

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Yeppers...

...I do believe that first picture is of Two Buttes. I know the place as I grew up in Cimarron County, Oklahoma. Our Little League baseball team used to play up in that area on occasion. Now that second picture, showing what appears to be rain falling in that area might be something that you could sell to the natives, just so they can remember what the stuff looks like.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeppers...

...I do believe that first picture is of Two Buttes. I know the place as I grew up in Cimarron County, Oklahoma. Our Little League baseball team used to play up in that area on occasion. Now that second picture, showing what appears to be rain falling in that area might be something that you could sell to the natives, just so they can remember what the stuff looks like.

Yes Terry, that's Two Buttes. The rain is between Springfield and Lamar. I was working in Springfield and stayed in Lamar so I drove it everyday. They loved it when I showed up, they said I always brought the rain with me! Mostly good people out that way too. They do have (or did have) some gang problems in Hooker, OK of all places. Also did some time in Guymon and Liberal, KS.

Most people don't like that country, but I love it out there. Just the sounds of the wind and grasshoppers, that's all you hear. My kind of place! I went to the range on Comanche National Grassland or Optima a couple times a week after work.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes Terry, that's Two Buttes. The rain is between Springfield and Lamar. I was working in Springfield and stayed in Lamar so I drove it everyday. They loved it when I showed up, they said I always brought the rain with me! Mostly good people out that way too. They do have (or did have) some gang problems in Hooker, OK of all places. Also did some time in Guymon and Liberal, KS.

Most people don't like that country, but I love it out there. Just the sounds of the wind and grasshoppers, that's all you hear. My kind of place! I went to the range on Comanche National Grassland or Optima a couple times a week after work.

You are right. While many don't see it, any decent photographer can see the beauty in what others could call "desolate country." If they aren't photographers and they still see it, they need to be photographers.

I'm cheating here a bit as the photo below is of part of the Cimarron National Grassland, located north of Elkhart, Kansas and just across the river. However, if you know where Elkhart is, you know it isn't very many miles from being in Colorado. We used to run cattle on the south side of the Cimarron River and in Colorado, and it is beautiful to ride that on a horse.

North of Elkhart, one drives up the grade on the north side and there is a pullout leading up to an overlook on the west side of Highway 27. I went up there some years back and took photos because I finally caught that area with the Yucca in bloom. The very last photo, which won't be shown here, was the best with both Yucca in bloom and prickly pear cactus blooming in two different colors, right together. That photo now hangs in only three homes that I know of, including an 8"x10" in our RV.

So, while this "technically" isn't a Colorado photo, it's close enough for me to count as one, because if one followed the river just a few miles west, it would have been.

Latest posts

Top Bottom