Colt Woodsman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty good chance I'll be getting a Colt Woodsman soon. It's a 1930 model but unfortunately it's been stored in a holster for years and pitted badly. I don't have any plans to try to restore it but will just clean it up and oil it.

I really don't know much about the Woodsman other than its a Browning design and a classic Colt. Anyone have any experience with them?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, OF. That's the plan. From what I understand the Woodsman got too expensive to manufacture so the bean counters at Colt dropped production in '77. This particular one is coming from an estate of a family member and I haven't seen it in person yet but if it runs ok it has a date with a lot of .22LR.

The mint originals bring the bucks but due to the condition of this one I'm getting it at a great deal for a shooter-grade Colt.

FWIW, I saw the movie Lincoln Lawyer not long ago and it spurred my interest in the Woodsman.

i655.photobucket.com_albums_uu277_flatwins_IMG_0908_zps993a6f65.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Tons of info here. http://www.colt22.com/ I've got a good friend that was just give a Woodsman match target model, and it's mint. Great trigger and shooter. The website can give all the details about the dates and version of Woodsman you have.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tons of info here. http://www.colt22.com/ I've got a good friend that was just give a Woodsman match target model, and it's mint. Great trigger and shooter. The website can give all the details about the dates and version of Woodsman you have.

Thanks. I ran across that site last night. Lots of good info there. Sounds like your buddy got a jewel!

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Colt Woodsman was a classic semi auto 22. In the 1950's the Match Target version was popular at the bullseye pistol matches. It was eclipsed by the S&W Model 41 which had the rear sigh on a barrel extension rather than on the slide. The Colt Wodsman always came from the factory with superb finish as I recall.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a classic American .22 pistol - it should be a great gun to have. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Give it a cleaning and put some rounds through it. Congrats on getting a piece of history. Those were hand fitted from back in the day by real craftsmen, and represents a different era.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a classic American .22 pistol - it should be a great gun to have. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. Give it a cleaning and put some rounds through it. Congrats on getting a piece of history. Those were hand fitted from back in the day by real craftsmen, and represents a different era.

Thanks, looking forward to getting it. Most likely it is one of the pre-high velocity ammo models so I'll need to score some target .22 for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom