Colt Woodsman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cousins grandfather brought his mint Colt Woodsman down last time we had an extended family gathering. It was the match target model with that super classy looking heavy barrel. I took him out to the range and we put about 200 rounds through it. Unbelievably nice shooting gun, the trigger is like snapping a glass rod.

Come to find out, that was the first time he had shot it since the 70's. I swear, you'd have a hard time telling it had ever been shot. Beautiful line of guns.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the old Woodsman in my possession now. The finish is in really bad shape but internally it looks fine. It was filthy but I've got it cleaned up and the bore looks good. It's a shame that the only mag I have is an aftermarket item so we'll see how it goes. It had the original grips but one was split and got the epoxy treatment. No prettying up this thing. Just plan to shoot it and hopefully enjoy it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are wonderful guns. This is mine:

I inherited it from an uncle, still got the box it came it. He bought it at a hardware store in Heavener, OK sometime after he came home from WWII. $49.00. He carved the grips and the mussel shell screw covers. Good luck on finding another magazine for it. I've found a couple here and there, but decided to put food on the table over another magazine. High dollar for sure.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Woodman with a family history to boot!

I got a chance to run mine a couple days ago. I ran subsonic ammo through it since it was the pre-high velocity variety. It ran fine though I didn't get to test for accuracy since I had the kids at the range and we were just plinking. Looking forward to taking it out again when I have more time to spend with it.

DocMatthew

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Woodsman is a classic! As the famed author and shooter Ernest Hemingway said:

"The rifle and the pistol are still the equalizer when one man is more of a man than another, and if…he is really smart…he will get a permit to carry one and then drop around to Abercrombie and Fitch and buy himself a .22 caliber Colt automatic pistol, Woodsman model, with a five-inch barrel and a box of shells...Now standing in one corner of a boxing ring with a .22 caliber Colt automatic pistol, shooting a bullet weighing only 40 grains and with a striking energy of 51 foot pounds at 25 feet from the muzzle, I will guarantee to kill either [boxer] Gene [Tunney] or Joe Louis before they get to me from the opposite corner. This is the smallest caliber pistol cartridge made; but it is also one of the most accurate and easy to hit with, since the pistol has no recoil. I have killed many horses with it, cripples and bear baits, with a single shot, and what will kill a horse will kill a man. I have hit six dueling silhouettes in the head with it at regulation distance in five seconds. It was this type of pistol that Millen boys’ colleague, Abe Faber, did all his killings with. Yet this same pistol bullet fired at point blank range will not dent a grizzly’s skull, and to shoot a grizzly with a .22 caliber pistol would simply be one way of committing suicide."

A great shooter and a classic in it's own right. It'll do the trick for nearly anything...

DocMatthew

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's turning over in his grave right now. He might bring his Woodsman in to set things straight... Or at least take care of that irritating music. Maybe I'm just getting old. Get off my lawn, whippersnappers!

Latest posts

Top Bottom