Combat Rifle Optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short of an ACOG, the best rangefinding optic with a BDC, as well as the toughest and most reliable optic in existence, are your factory iron sights! The FAL has really good aperture sights that are adjustable for range, which are the envy of lesser battle rifles that only have notch sights and/or a really short sight radius.

One of the things you will learn at an Appleseed is how to use your front sight post to estimate distance to target based on the width and/or height of the post, and to figure out your come-up or hold-off.

So being that you already have one of the best and most effective combat optical sights known to man attached to your rifle, what I would do is practice with your iron sights while you're saving up for that ACOG... and even after you get your ACOG, pull it off every once in a while to keep up your skills with your irons. You know what they say -- "2 months after the SHTF, iron sights will rule the world," or something to that effect!

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a cheap Leopold 3-9 on my AR, and do quite well with it at the close ranges of the practical rifle match, while at the same time it is capable at longer ranges. It was only about $200, so its a way to have a decent piece of glass that you can put on something else later, when you get what you want.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Short of an ACOG, the best rangefinding optic with a BDC, as well as the toughest and most reliable optic in existence, are your factory iron sights! The FAL has really good aperture sights that are adjustable for range, which are the envy of lesser battle rifles that only have notch sights and/or a really short sight radius.

One of the things you will learn at an Appleseed is how to use your front sight post to estimate distance to target based on the width and/or height of the post, and to figure out your come-up or hold-off.

So being that you already have one of the best and most effective combat optical sights known to man attached to your rifle, what I would do is practice with your iron sights while you're saving up for that ACOG... and even after you get your ACOG, pull it off every once in a while to keep up your skills with your irons. You know what they say -- "2 months after the SHTF, iron sights will rule the world," or something to that effect!

I know that the M14/M1A has a front sight post that equals 19in @ 300m, but I am not sure that my L1A1 front sight does the same thing. It is a post but narrows to a blade at the top, so its pretty thin. I will have to look into this because it would be great if I could do my range estimation off of my irons. However I will still get an optic because the rear sight has a little wiggle to it, so is not a precise as I would like it to be, and windage adjustments on it are a pain in the buttocks (two opposing screws, not convinient to have to take out a screwdriver between shots so I have to use kentucky windage).
All in all I get the feeling that A)the burris would be a good buy for now but B) an ACOG is worth saving for and purchasing later, but I should keep in mind C) that training with my irons is still going to be a neccesity (goes without saying).
Oh, and I love the Clint Smith quote about iron sights ruling the world 2 months after SHTF! Great stuff. :yelclap:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FALs have been known to be tough on scopes. It has to do with the mass of the bolt and carrier. A friend of mine tried mounting an inexpensive scope on his FAL, it didn't survive very long. I don't remember what brand it was but the reticle broke loose. I've read that the Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 is a pretty tough scope that can stand up to magnum recoil and they won't break the bank. Barrett has mounted the Bushnells on their 50 cal rifles and they hold up well, apparently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom