Compelled to move.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You won’t find a better group as a whole then Okies. We are some of those rare folks who are still thoughtful and neighborly, there are few exceptions though.

Where about in Montana are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But hey!
Here's a novel thought.

Since you are moving to Oklahoma with no innate bias,,,
Why not embrace both universities and enjoy both of their teams.

I truly bleed orange and black,,,
I earned both of my degrees at OSU,,,
And I am close to retiring from my career working here.

But the only time I'm not an OU fan,,,
Is for the Bedlam games.

Aarond

Amen!!!!!! Tnks for this post!

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. You won’t find a better group as a whole then Okies. We are some of those rare folks who are still thoughtful and neighborly, there are few exceptions though.

Where about in Montana are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sampson,

Sorry for not seeing this earlier, this post got drifted into mindless sports talk and not cannons, so I lost interest and wander off...us senior citizens tend to do that.

I have moved down from Cut Bank. 35 miles south of Canada and 50 east of the Glacier National Park. On the prairie transition from mountains to plains.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
welcome aboard.like to learn your canon shooting/building
Right now all my cannon building and gun work is on hiatus. My lathe got damaged in the move and it need repaired. But more of a stoppage for this work is the fact I am having knee replacement surgery this week and will be laid up for a while.

My normal hang out for cannon building is GBOutdoors Cannon forum. I started that forum about 15-16 years ago with a fellow from VA.

I have two projects in progress right now-well delayed for a few months anyway.

First I am restoring the carriage on this cannon.

www.fototime.com_16795E77F517001_large.jpg

It is a 1976 Reproduction of an iron 1 PDR from Lake George NY, made by LaPan Iron Works at the direction of a National Parks Historian for the Bi Centennial. When I got it the carriage was rotted and it was unsafe to fire. I have built a dummy carriage from plywood to figure out how the carriage is made. I will be going down to Clark's in Houston to pick up some oak later this winter. Unless some one has a source for heavy oak timber here in Oklahoma.

Dummy Carriage
www.fototime.com_FB6A593CBAD3063_medium800.jpg

The other project that is in the intial planning stages is building a carraige for this Model 1842 Siege Mortar. This tube has 8.6 in bore for bowling balls.

www.fototime.com_6C9AEEED2B65AB6_large.jpg

I have this stack of lumber for the project. 3" x 9 3/4" x 48" red oak.

www.fototime.com_5D5E7517BBBF53C_medium800.jpg

I am going to build this mortar from that tube and pile of wood.

www.fototime.com_180AAE99153B7AE_medium800.jpg

I have a set of original plans for the mortar, but they are for an Iron carriage. I am going to build a wooden Confederate pattern carriage from the pictures.

This project is a wonderful project for someone with access to a water jet that can cut heavy plate. If they have a water jet, then they can probably have source for 4 inch plate.

This right now is a project I would sell. but once I start cutting and drilling wood it is mine. Anyone want it? Not cheap.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be going down to Clark's in Houston to pick up some oak later this winter. Unless some one has a source for heavy oak timber here in Oklahoma.

I don't know how much, or how heavy you need, but I have some from an Oklahoma blackjack that I would be willing to turn loose of if it fits your needs. Give me some more specifics and I'll see if I can do you any good.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Impressive looking cannon!
We’ve talked, the offer is still good when your surgery is recovered from.
I watched some of the news coverage of hurricane Florence. Huge oaks were knocked down.
Not sure about getting access to them as the folks looking for keel wood to build/repair sailing ships jumped in to pay the landowners for them after Katrina and I’m sure they might be after these.

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for good clear dry commercial wood such such as you buy at Lowes or Home depot. Nothing from the neighbor hood sawmill. I have been down that road and proper drying and clear wood is necessary. I have a bunch of white oak that was cut 16 years ago and it is still moving. It was air dried under a house in Virginia for the first 4 years. Then an additional 12 years of drying in a dark attic in Montana. It has worked wonderfully for small projects. It has just enough imperfections to not be worthy of this project. And then even after all this drying the sawyer cut it Carpenter 2 inches, not machinist 2 inches. I need 2 inches actual. This wood is 1 3/4", I need that to have enough thickness to reinstall the original hard ware.

I can use the wood from Lowes or HD, by laminating 1" planks together to get my thickness. I will be painting the carriage so the laminations won't be seen, but solid wood just seems more right. Laminating may be what I do in the end any way.

As to the Surgery, that happens this Friday. If you are inclined to prayer, add the Surgeon for a steady hand and my wife for strength. This will be my second knee replacement. While not as simple as having your tonsils out, I know what to expect. My wife on the other hand is a basket case, so definitely pray for her. After surgery then pray for me, wife will be my home care nurse. She will smother me to death with nursing. Oh well guess she loves me. She is worried.

Latest posts

Top Bottom