confession time- Game warden tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of yall ever ticketed? Two Alaskan State Troopers got me on a spring black bear hunt in Prince of Wales. They were waiting at the dock when we pulled up in our boat. My bear was tagged with the metal tag but I had forgotten a pen to fill out the harvest survey at the kill site. 200.00 for that. Then they proceeded to lay out a tarp and we had to pour out all our meat so they could determine if we had taken enough off the carcass. One of them was in training and he was being not real friendly, he was about to put us back in the boat and make us take him to the kill site over 2hrs away when the other one said we had taken enough of the meat. We had taken everything required and then some. On the way back to the cabin I got pulled over by a local cop for going 27 in a 25mph zone. He gave me a warning. I got the idea they were not to fond of outsiders coming in to bear hunt. I was very polite to all of them cause I did not want to end up in a Alaskan jail. Dont think Ill be headed back anytime soon though...

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never have but almost was written up. I was just out of highschool and a friend invited a couple of us to go camping and deer hunting at Gruber we set up a tent close to where we wanted to hunt and stayed the night and started hunting the next morning. My buddies got cold and went back to camp where a warden was waiting for them they both were written up for not camping in a designated area. One buddy found where I was hunting and had me meet them out on the road to avoid a ticket, I pitched in on their tickets. Young and dumb!

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a ticket when I was about 19 for hunting without permission. BS deal, was hunting on my aunt and got on the neighbors land. Open gates, no signs and the guy was just being a dick. A simple, hey you guys got on me would have solved it real quick as we thought we were still on my aunt.
$125.50 plus two trips to court.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never been ticketed, but have been inspected here in OK during white tail season. Apparently they were having a problem with people buying tags after they took an animal. We had everything together though and were fine. He thought he had us until we turned the doe over and saw the tag stapled to the ear!

Never met a jerk game warden - hope I never do.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never received a ticket, but I have been reminded that I didn't sign my duck stamp and, on a separate occasion, that my electronic copy of my HIP isn't technically good enough when you forgot to grab the paper one off the dresser.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had a GW ticket and try to always make sure I have all the bases covered on the rare occasion I do get to go in the field anymore. Have been checked and inspected several times in OK and TX.

However when I was a kid fishing on Red River in the late 70s the GW rolled up on me to check fishing licenses. His name was Jeep Gentry and he had been a friend of my grandparents. The conversation went something like this:

GW: Whatcha doin Rick?
Me: Fishin but aint catchin.
GW: Well you need to move down 100 yards to that hole, fish been runnin deeper since it got hotter. Need to see your license. Doin checks today.
Me: Ummmm...I don't have one Jeep. Haven't gotten around to buyin it yet.
GW: That's a problem. I'm gonna give you the choice of what to do about it though. 1) I write you a ticket and haul off your gear. 2) I call your grandpa and let him sort it for me. 3) I'll stand right here and drink one of them cokes you got in that cooler (and it BETTER be cokes in there!!!) while you run back up to Miss Bonnie's store and get a license so I can check it!

Always ALWAYS take the last option I say!

I miss those days :(

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first year fishing was in 2009. I had just bought my fishing license and went out on my first solo trip which was my 2nd time fishing. I got to an area in the North side of Chicago. A place I had frequented often while growing up, it was the closest place to the house that was kind of woodsy. North branch of the Chicago river cut right through this patch of trees which is about 15-20 acres big. I had never seen a LEO there, ever. Never ever! Well the day I happen to be carrying a fishing pole and tackle box I run into two people man and woman dressed in a uniform I had never seen before. Tag on their collar read "FPDCC" Forest Preserve Dist of Cook County. Well when they approached the woman didnt say a word, the guy did all the talking. He started with small talk "you catch anything?" "What you using for bait?"....etc. Then he went in for the kill..... "Since I got you out here fishing im going to have to see your fishing lic." To this I replied "Fishing lic? Whats that?" All the while pulling out my wallet to retrieve my lic. FPDCC officer "well im gonna have to..." I hand him my lic before he could finish his statement, boy he looked unhappy. They didnt say another word and walked off in the direction they came from, towards the parking lot I wasn't parked in. Which is on the other side of the park. I got to my car threw in my gear got in the car and started driving off. When I got to the entrance the FPDCC vehicle was pulling into the lot I was exiting, same to officers. Woman was driving and pulled up to me with her window down. I lower my window and she begans to tell me "You were speeding in the lot, im telling you as a warning, next time you will get a ticket" I replied "ok" and drove off. I have know idea how she was able to see me from whereever she was and still make it to the entrance at the same time as me, I was speeding a little. I think they have a drone. When they originally stopped me I wondered how the hell did they know i was here.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll fess up. Out in the middle of nowhere down by the Red River where I was running cattle on a wheat pasture. Last day of deer season, was a doe day, and figured I'd take a doe if I saw one out checking cows. Sure enough, there were 5 or 6 does out on the wheat field, so I drove on down to the corner parked the feed truck and walked back up to the top of the hill. The fenceline was like this ______/-----\______. The dotted lines are the gate, but imagine the gate being offset inside the property from the fenceline about 7 or 8 feet, it was the entrance to a gas well. I sat at the gate for a few minutes waiting for them to feed to the top of the hill. They came, I shot one, got back in my truck and finished checking cows. Came back to the doe on my way out, took off my coat and and went to whittlin away on her. About that time I see a truck haulin down the gravel road about 2 miles away. Gets closer, sure enough, game warden gray truck and he heads right for me. I didn't care, I was doing nothing wrong, so I went back to guttin. He pulls in the gate and jumps out of his truck like there was a snake in it, and immediately I knew something was up. He starts in "I heard you were shooting at deer from your truck on the road!" I said no sir, shot from that gate right there, brass is probably still sittin there if you want to go see. He starts telling me how I did this and that and bla bla bla, so I went over and picked up the shell and handed it to him, told him either he was wrong or the report he got was wrong. He said get in the truck, so I got in his truck. He gets out the ticket book and goes to writing. Wrote me 3 tickets, shooting from the road, no orange (was sitting on the tailgate from when I took off my coat to gut), possession of game not legally taken. Took my gun, took my deer, and cost me a thousand bucks. Obviously there was no arguing with, but to this day I still believe what I did was not wrong. Get out to leave and we both walk to the back of the truck and he bends down to grab the front half of the deer to load it and asks me to grab the back half. I said screw you, that's your deer now, load it yourself. I was hot. Come to find out, there had been someone poaching in the wheat field that called me in and said I was shooting from the truck. They were half a mile away and could not even see me from where they were. I knew the guy that reported me and confronted him about it about a month later, he apologized and said he thought I was someone else, so he called me in. Bout the only bad experience I've had with a game warden, and it was a bad one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom