confession time- Game warden tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnhowdy138

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had a ticket from a warden but my brother and friend did. Well I wouldnt exactly call it a ticket. Fishing in jones on the river and my brother says now if anyone shows up these are your poles I say ok . The problem here is that we are all in front of a pole but 10' apart from each other. So of course warden shows up and caught us by surprise and asks to see license im the only one who had a license. He tells my brother and friend you have two options I take your gear and leave you with a ticket or buy this 30 day license for 50$. I laughed so hard when I heard that 25$ and they would have been good for the whole year

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 60s I ha just got out of the army. .Staying with parents. Desided about midmorning I would see if i could find some quail. Driving down a dirt road 3/4 mile from the house a covey flew across the road . I parked in my dads gate . Walked up the side of the creek aways . A car comes sliding to a stop in the road. Game warden comes running a me yelling his head off . Gets close says ur getting a ticket for hunting squirrel out off season .Said he had saw a squirrel run across the road right in front of me. I said no I was hunting quail. He grabs the muzzle of my bolt action 410 says that looks like a rifle to me . Jerked it right up to his face. Said well it is a shot gun . Says he is going to wright me up for trespassing.He hauled me back home so my dad could tell him I was not trespassing. Had no love of him evermore.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll fess up. Out in the middle of nowhere down by the Red River where I was running cattle on a wheat pasture. Last day of deer season, was a doe day, and figured I'd take a doe if I saw one out checking cows. Sure enough, there were 5 or 6 does out on the wheat field, so I drove on down to the corner parked the feed truck and walked back up to the top of the hill. The fenceline was like this ______/-----\______. The dotted lines are the gate, but imagine the gate being offset inside the property from the fenceline about 7 or 8 feet, it was the entrance to a gas well. I sat at the gate for a few minutes waiting for them to feed to the top of the hill. They came, I shot one, got back in my truck and finished checking cows. Came back to the doe on my way out, took off my coat and and went to whittlin away on her. About that time I see a truck haulin down the gravel road about 2 miles away. Gets closer, sure enough, game warden gray truck and he heads right for me. I didn't care, I was doing nothing wrong, so I went back to guttin. He pulls in the gate and jumps out of his truck like there was a snake in it, and immediately I knew something was up. He starts in "I heard you were shooting at deer from your truck on the road!" I said no sir, shot from that gate right there, brass is probably still sittin there if you want to go see. He starts telling me how I did this and that and bla bla bla, so I went over and picked up the shell and handed it to him, told him either he was wrong or the report he got was wrong. He said get in the truck, so I got in his truck. He gets out the ticket book and goes to writing. Wrote me 3 tickets, shooting from the road, no orange (was sitting on the tailgate from when I took off my coat to gut), possession of game not legally taken. Took my gun, took my deer, and cost me a thousand bucks. Obviously there was no arguing with, but to this day I still believe what I did was not wrong. Get out to leave and we both walk to the back of the truck and he bends down to grab the front half of the deer to load it and asks me to grab the back half. I said screw you, that's your deer now, load it yourself. I was hot. Come to find out, there had been someone poaching in the wheat field that called me in and said I was shooting from the truck. They were half a mile away and could not even see me from where they were. I knew the guy that reported me and confronted him about it about a month later, he apologized and said he thought I was someone else, so he called me in. Bout the only bad experience I've had with a game warden, and it was a bad one.

I'd have went to court and 'splained my side to the judge at least. Probably wouldn't have done any good, but who knows?

Back in the 60s I ha just got out of the army. .Staying with parents. Desided about midmorning I would see if i could find some quail. Driving down a dirt road 3/4 mile from the house a covey flew across the road . I parked in my dads gate . Walked up the side of the creek aways . A car comes sliding to a stop in the road. Game warden comes running a me yelling his head off . Gets close says ur getting a ticket for hunting squirrel out off season .Said he had saw a squirrel run across the road right in front of me. I said no I was hunting quail. He grabs the muzzle of my bolt action 410 says that looks like a rifle to me . Jerked it right up to his face. Said well it is a shot gun . Says he is going to wright me up for trespassing.He hauled me back home so my dad could tell him I was not trespassing. Had no love of him evermore.

This is a perfect reason to have a set down with his supervisor and if it doesn't go well, file a formal complaint. At least make them do some paperwork for your trouble.

ShurShot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never got a ticket but I took my son out for opening day of Teal season a couple of weeks ago at our duck lease near Weatherford and on our way out the gate the GW was waiting about a 1/4 mile down the road. He pulled up in front of my truck by the time I pulled through and got out to lock the gate. I was good to go so no trouble and I'm kinda glad he's out there keeping an eye on the place but was really surprised to see him way out there.

We got two and my son woke me up at 5 the next morning asking if we could go again!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll fess up. Out in the middle of nowhere down by the Red River where I was running cattle on a wheat pasture. Last day of deer season, was a doe day, and figured I'd take a doe if I saw one out checking cows. Sure enough, there were 5 or 6 does out on the wheat field, so I drove on down to the corner parked the feed truck and walked back up to the top of the hill. The fenceline was like this ______/-----\______. The dotted lines are the gate, but imagine the gate being offset inside the property from the fenceline about 7 or 8 feet, it was the entrance to a gas well. I sat at the gate for a few minutes waiting for them to feed to the top of the hill. They came, I shot one, got back in my truck and finished checking cows. Came back to the doe on my way out, took off my coat and and went to whittlin away on her. About that time I see a truck haulin down the gravel road about 2 miles away. Gets closer, sure enough, game warden gray truck and he heads right for me. I didn't care, I was doing nothing wrong, so I went back to guttin. He pulls in the gate and jumps out of his truck like there was a snake in it, and immediately I knew something was up. He starts in "I heard you were shooting at deer from your truck on the road!" I said no sir, shot from that gate right there, brass is probably still sittin there if you want to go see. He starts telling me how I did this and that and bla bla bla, so I went over and picked up the shell and handed it to him, told him either he was wrong or the report he got was wrong. He said get in the truck, so I got in his truck. He gets out the ticket book and goes to writing. Wrote me 3 tickets, shooting from the road, no orange (was sitting on the tailgate from when I took off my coat to gut), possession of game not legally taken. Took my gun, took my deer, and cost me a thousand bucks. Obviously there was no arguing with, but to this day I still believe what I did was not wrong. Get out to leave and we both walk to the back of the truck and he bends down to grab the front half of the deer to load it and asks me to grab the back half. I said screw you, that's your deer now, load it yourself. I was hot. Come to find out, there had been someone poaching in the wheat field that called me in and said I was shooting from the truck. They were half a mile away and could not even see me from where they were. I knew the guy that reported me and confronted him about it about a month later, he apologized and said he thought I was someone else, so he called me in. Bout the only bad experience I've had with a game warden, and it was a bad one.

I would have fought that one, stroking those tickets on hearsay wouldn't even come close to standing up in court. At the very least I'd have that guy you mentioned pay you back and gift you his next deer. That is messed up...

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never gotten a ticket from a GW, I have really bad anxiety issues so I'm always going over the rules and such multiple times so I don't miss something. I've been checked while on my one and only turkey hunt. He checked my license and such and my shotgun. We didn't get a turkey so no issues there. I've been checked a few times while fishing but I always had a license. The only time I got a ticket was from a Corp Ranger because I launched my boat without filling out the little card and paying the dollar or however much it was. The only reason I didn't do it was because I couldn't find a pen to fill the card out, I put the money in but I couldn't fill out the info. Anywho, I get back a few hours later and there's a ticket on my truck. Frick. I didn't even make it one day before my b.I.l., also a ranger, calls me laughing at me for getting ticketed by another ranger. I explained I wasn't trying to skip out and not pay the launch fee because I still put the money in, I just didn't have any way to fill out the card and there wasn't anyone around to borrow a pen from. He laughed and said "Yeah, when he (the ranger wrote the ticket) counted the money at the end of the day there was an extra dollar and he figured it was you so he voided the ticket for you". Woohoo :)

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did I tell y'all about the time (last year) when we tried to bring our guns back in from Mexico after not exporting them right and didn't have the paperwork :oops3:

Kinda hunting, this is a gun forum so....
Let's just say it was a pretty fun customs experience!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I generally see the GW's around my hunting counties four or five times per deer-gun season each year. Not once has one ever asked to see my license, granted, I've cooked steak and shared meals with these officers. Not even the first time he pulled up to us on the side of the road hunting quail. I thought that was normal, and that people who got tickets deserved it. Reading some of these stories, I'll consider myself extremely lucky.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never got a ticket from a GW. I did have one watch me and another guy for hours around Mangum while we hunted quail. He finally came down off the hill to try and buy my German Shorthair. I told him I didn't think I wanted to sell him so he threw in with us and hunted the rest if the afternoon without a gun, just watching the dogs. Nice guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom