confession time- Game warden tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Running traps on one of the holiday doe weekends on my four wheeler so I was wearing orange so I could be seen. Unloaded at a friends house drove the 1.5 miles up to the property with the traps...........ran traps, couple of grinners, shot both with .22 pistol. Pulled out of the gate and headed back, as I approached the intersection, there were two GW trucks blocking the road.....both from out of county and covering for the local GW....................long story short, I was accused of hunting/shooting deer from an atv, and ditching the rifle when I saw the GW trucks. GW claimed to have seen the rifle, which was my dispatch snare(and still on my atv), got huffy and in my face and said "we can do this the hard way, or the easy way".........GW's first and exact words, GW's chin about 4" from my forehead while speaking. GW heard two shots, I told them about the grinners, GW continued to hound me about telling the truth, I told the GW what I was doing and that I'd show them the dead grinners. So I rode with the GW back to the property, all the while looking in the ditch for the rifle the whole time. Walked to the first grinner, checked my trap, all good, went the second trap with grinner, and the wire that I use to make it offset, was gone................ $168 for and illegal trap and other accusations dropped, kept trap for evidence in case of dispute.
Told the GW I didn't mind paying for what I was guilty of but the rest was uncalled for. I'd hunted there for 10+ years at the time, had a good rapport with GW who lived 1 mile from the property we were on.
Paid the fine, got the trap back a month later, local GW brought it back to me. Pulled my wildlife tag off my truck and my wife's truck, wrote a letter to the ODWC along with the plates, explaining what happened, and that I refused to support that kind of attitude...........that I'd gladly buy my local GW's and their wives a steak dinner for working their a$$'s off day and night during season, and for being professional at what they do.......never heard anything back.

Been checked a couple of times by the same GW since with no issues, and the GW was professional. I couldn't be more happy with the current and previous GW's in my area, we visit regularly, compare notes on things going on, vehicles seen, hunt together some, even do some reloading for one of them. Grew up in Washington Co with David Strang, great man, pretty sure his son is a GW also in the OKC area............so this one incident that didn't go well, didn't ruin my respect for the rest. Between hunting and trapping over several counties, I run into several of them, I've had to call on several of them, and they've been nothing but professional and helpful every time.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the early 80's my uncle didnt check his deer or something but the GW showed up at his house in Osage county with a ticket. $50
GW went back out to his truck to find he had a flat......and NO jack.
Went back up and asked uncle John if he had a jack he could use....Yep, for $50 he told him.
GW sat in his truck for an hour waiting for assistance.

My son and I have been checked 3-4 times in last 4 years duck hunting, all is good and they were all cordial and easy to deal with.

DNO

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
closest I ever came to getting a ticket I had killed a muledeer buck in Colorado.when I skinned it I cut the head off and its buck parts.sent the head with a taxidermist and took the body with me got stopped in a road check and didn't have any proof of sex.the only thing that saved me I had a pic of me and the buck so they let me go.i thought that was good of them,because they could of gave me a big ticket

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have fought that one, stroking those tickets on hearsay wouldn't even come close to standing up in court. At the very least I'd have that guy you mentioned pay you back and gift you his next deer. That is messed up...

Tried. Took it to the DA's office the following week and was told that I could not fight it. If a game warden felt justified in writing the ticket, that was it. I think that was a bunch of BS and should have told him to put that in writing for me, but I didn't.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried. Took it to the DA's office the following week and was told that I could not fight it. If a game warden felt justified in writing the ticket, that was it. I think that was a bunch of BS and should have told him to put that in writing for me, but I didn't.
If it would have been Caddo county DA, you probably could have had it thrown out by just saying it was a wildlife violation. Last fall he let 2 guys get away with shooting a trophy buck from a roadway in a state park.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been checked a few times. I have never had any reason for a ticket or warning. I have once had a friend that was given the option of purchasing a 30 day fishing license or a citation. I have also had a couple buddies when dove hunting fail to have HIP and they were given a warning.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hunting a new place in Pott County last year, the landowner has had tons of problems with trespassers so the game warden was keeping an eye on it. I was walking out in the dark, near the truck a light hits me in the face, scared the crap out of me. Went through the check, verified I knew the landowner and had permission, I had taken off my orange vest about halfway to the truck and received a warning for that, GW was Mike France, nice guy and very professional. Glad to know he's around out there.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it would have been Caddo county DA, you probably could have had it thrown out by just saying it was a wildlife violation. Last fall he let 2 guys get away with shooting a trophy buck from a roadway in a state park.

OB are you saying the guys that shot that trophy buck over my the lake nothing was done to them.If that's so that's bs

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do my best to stay on top of everything. Life time combo hunting/fishing license has solved a majority of this issues. I did leave before my brother in law and his step brother got a visit from the GW. Step brother decided he would do a mag dump on his M1A SOCOM. We were back up at the cabin by this time and he wanted to play with his new toy. Needless to say the GW just happened to be down the road and heard the shots. No tickets issued as all was legal.

I get a good laugh at the people that get nailed on the lake w/o a fishing license.

Latest posts

Top Bottom