confession time- Game warden tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, when I was *fill in the age exceeding the statute of limitations" I was loaded up and heading to stay with the grandparents over a weekend during rifle season. One of the farms was a mile south of their house so I thought I would shoot a little meat. I hopped out with a shotgun to kick up some *winged animals that can often be found floating in the water* or maybe a rabbit or such. I snuck up on the birds on a pond by the road and fired a few times missing all times. Right then, the warden flies in and meets me at the fence. I have my shotgun pointed in a safe direction and he takes it, I take it back and inform him that it's loaded and shuck the shells out. (That wasn't smart of either of us.) He asks me what I'm hunting and I reply meat. he says, well. If you are shooting at ducks, you are using lead and it's not in season and you don't have a plug. Besides that I've told your grandpa that you guys need to be wearing orange during rifle season. I argued that I wasn't dear hunting and it was personal property. So we head on to my truck and looks in my truck. I may have had 5 guns in there and he seemed genuinely surprised. He said, "You will be happy to know that the fine for not wearing orange went up this year 20%." I kinda laughed and though great, now it's $25! Well it was more like $225 and I wasn't very happy about that and kindly asked him to leave the place now that his business was done.

My grandpa grew up in Major/Blaine County back when there was no season. As a kid we were always road shooting but is was always at one of his farms. Looking back it was a miracle we both didn't lose our guns to the law. Obviously, I am teaching my children the right and lawful way to hunt.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
in the late 70's lead shot was introduced for ducks 12 ga shells were available i shot a muzzle loader shotgun i could find no steel shot so i finally cut open shotshells to get the shot. i was on quivera wildlife refuge in ks., i had killed a couple of ducks and had the double loaded and enough for 1 more reload. the ranger walked in to check me he wanted to verify that i had steel shot in the gun. i said taht i was not pulling the wads to dump the shot. i liked my hands top much. he insisted and i offered for him to do it. i dug a piece of shot out of a dead duck and it was steel. not good enough. i finally offered to shoot a tree and let him dig for the shot. he said that he had to check and thqat he had never seen a muzzle loader used for ducks. so he picks out a tree and i shoot it. the shot was from about 5 feet. the tree wother hunter and i as a good sappling. it blew in half and no shot was retrieved. i then said no to shooting the other barrel at a larger tee as i was running too low on shot. we had spent a long time and ducks were flying everywhere. i was not happy. a hunter form a couple of hundred yards away walked up to try to get us back in the blind so he could hunt...... he was angry. when he saw taht it was a warden, he said, just shoot a danged duck and he can check that way. i shot and retrieved a duck. the ranger verified that it was steel. the ranger left and that was trhe end of a almost hour check for steel shot. as i walked up to my truck he was waiting. he said that he had forgotten to check for license and duck stamp. he sid that he did not want to mess up my hunting any more so he waited by the trcuk knowing that i would be through soon as i had only 1 more shot before out of ammo.

i have been checked for plug in shotgun - dove hunting in about 1970 and had a fishing licence checked in the mid 70's. nothing since......

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did not get a ticket but I sure had a upset ranger . Was backing my boat down the ramp at Thunder Bird. Here come the ranger going to check life jackets ETC. gets to fire extinguisher ,Says how do u know this will work. I said well better work I just bought it at Walmart. He says no no how can u tell it will work. I said well it still has the tape cross the nozzle it has never been used . By now he was red faced & very up set. He said how do u Know It is charged . I said why did u not ask that question first . Its the little green charge indicator sticking out that says it is charged. He left We had a
nice day on the lake.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My only encounter with a GW was when we were fishing Sooner Lake a few weeks back. GW starts to boat over to us, as they approach we start pulling rods in so they can come up to the side of the boat. As they put it in "N" to allow us to move our poles their outboard dies. The wind pushed them over the rock jetty, we then towed them back to the ramp.

That's my wife sneaking a picture over her shoulder!!

Wonder why they used that boat? They have a boat docked in the boat house.

Big question is.....did you catch any fish?

BCurry1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been hunting for the last 15+ years, and fishing for the last 20+ years. The only time I have seen a GW is at the Wildlife Expo at the Lazy E.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in march or april me and the mrs went over below the tenkiller damn trout fishing. We got a warning for not having our own stringers with our license numbeers on them. He told us it was a new law and they were going to warn everyone for 6 months then start handing out tix in July. We were greatful for the warning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom