confession time- Game warden tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had a ticket, but I've been checked several times and always been on the up and up. About 15 years ago I did have a warden in Tulsa County write me a warning for using hollow point ammunition to deer hunt. I politely showed him in the regs where it clearly stated "hollow points are legal" but he wrote me the warning anyway. Based on his reputation it didn't surprise me.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pulled over to talk to a buddy of mine who was telling me that he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer (he's now passed on, by the way). Anyway, it was during muzzleloader season. Apparently, me stopping on a dirt road is cause enough for this a-hole warden to accuse meet of poaching. He stops me and proceeds to ask all kinds of questions, while I have tears in my eyes because I just heard that my good friend has cancer. Then he asks to look at my "rifle". I guess this moron doesn't realize that rifles don't have ramrods. Anyway, he looks it over and realizes that it is a muzzleloader. Then he starts telling me that I need to wear orange. Remember, I'm sitting in my truck. And I point out to him that my orange is in the backseat of my truck. He final let's me go. If I had it to do over again, I don't think I would have even pulled over for him and I certainly would have told him to get lost when he started questioning me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I interface with the GW's in my area so much, they don't even check my license anymore. (life time) They do ask to see my fish if they are on a stringer. No biggie. That's what my license fees pay for.

In my hunting area, they just drive by and wave. Been hunting the same area for 30 some years, and its almost always by myself.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first time deer hunting I went up to Canton WMA. I got there about 5:30 in the morning and set up in what looked like a promising spot based on what little I knew back then. About 11 or so I heard a lot of other hunters in the area and I hadn't seen anything so I decided to head home. As I got close to the truck I saw a green pickup parked in such a way that I wasn't getting out without the guy sitting in it wanting me to. As I got closer I saw a GW get out so I unloaded my rifle and took off my head covering. He asked if I had shot anything since there were some shots fired in the area right before I came into his view. Asked if I had seen any deer. a few other questions. I thought I was doing everything right until he asked if I was here for the draw hunt. My eyes got wide and he said, "I take it you didn't even know this WMA was closed this weekend for a controlled hunt." I replied that I didn't and he asked me to get in his truck. He checked my equipment and license then said he could write me a $200+ ticket or if I had a card I could pay a ~$120 administrative fee and I could go. I whipped out my card as fast as I could. After I got my receipt he showed me the section in the hunting regs that showed what areas were closed when and how I could apply if I was interested. I study the hunting book every year now like I will be tested on it.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Borrowed a buddies water scamp and put in a public ramp off the river. I was fishing the backwater when a GW waived me over. He wrote me a $75 ticket for expired tags. I had not checked them myself.

Sent from my tree stand.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back I was stopped by OHP on the lake for a safety inspection. After it was done, I ask them why their boat tags were expired. They said there had been a screw up and they had not been issued yet. He was a little embarrassed about it.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kind of ocd about making sure I'm legal. Been checked several times. Got check 3 days ago by a sheriff deputy. said he was helping out the local GW because they've had a problem with poachers. Didn't bother me. I like that they're out there. The GW that patrols lake thunderbird is one of the best. Can't remember his name. He checked us a few times then would come down and shoot the bull and give us reports on where the ducks were. He gave my buddy the option of signing his duck stamp or giving up his lifetime liscense. Needless to say he signed it and the GW gave him a pen. That's how those things should be handled in my opinion. We need more like him. The Logan county GW is another story. He would put the screws to you and then some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom