Conflicted.... Card #27

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After the collapse, people start bartering for goods and services. Illegal drugs have become a hot commodity in your region, and one day while showing off your wares at a local trading post, someone tries to barter with you by paying you in drugs. There are no laws anymore to say what substances are legal or illegal, but you know these are harmful and addictive substances.
Would you take the drugs in exchange for your goods and services after the collapse? Why or Why not?

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
depends on what kind of drugs they were, are they painkillers? Pot? If they have value and that is our economy then I may be able to trade those drugs for help from a physician or something else.
On the flip side of that I would also have to have some knowledge of drugs because it would be easy for someone to trade fake drugs that could be harmless or fatal. Perhaps a pharmaceutical book would be a good thing to have in that case?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the market was favorable, I would. (drug addicts will trade anything for their dope)

Kind of a conflicting question(no pun intended) - claims illegal drugs are hot commodity, then says there are no laws regulating these substances.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No laws against it. Addictive or harmful, they made the choice. I can trade for what my family needs. Their drug use removes them from society and limited supplies, so be it.
Only difference in SHTF and now is law.

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
depends on what kind of drugs they were, are they painkillers? Pot? If they have value and that is our economy then I may be able to trade those drugs for help from a physician or something else.
On the flip side of that I would also have to have some knowledge of drugs because it would be easy for someone to trade fake drugs that could be harmless or fatal. Perhaps a pharmaceutical book would be a good thing to have in that case?

SubPrep nailed it as for as i am concerned.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. SubPrep's answer is flawless. I'd trade ONLY if I knew what it was.

As far as TedKennedy's conflict, I think the card was trying to differentiate between what is illegal now vs drugs that are legal instead of an ambiguous "drugs" because they could have been talking about trading Tylenol instead of Heroin... The card wouldn't have made much sense then.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. I would keep any that I could use to benefit my group (painkillers, diabetic supplies, etc.). The rest I would then trade off for other things I needed.

I'd consider intentionally growing pot for barter at that point, but given that it's literally a weed, I suspect it wouldn't have much value.

Even though I don't drink alcohol myself, I'd also consider making my own booze from excess fruits and vegetables if possible for purposes of barter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom