Consolidating ARs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 16" m4 profile 5.56 with quad rail and flip up cantelever sights, light and 1-4 illumunated reticle LPVO. This rig is a little heavy but accurate and functions excellent.
I have a 7.62x39 16" M4 profile with Delta ring magpul forearm and a 1-4 LPVO. Lightweight, built for a truck gun. Shoots the 154gr Tula ammo really well. I like this light carbine alot.
I also have a 20" fluted 6.5 Grendel upper with mlock forearm and a 1-6 LPVO. Excellent hunting rig and shoots accurate at 300 to 500yds with 120gr Nosler Ballistic tip factory ammo and 129gr Hornady Interlock handloads.
This gives me a pair of reliable defensive carbines and the 20 inch Grendel can reach out as far as I would dare shoot.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any older 6920 is going to give you great service and any of them made prior to about 2013 will have the exact same parts as the military rifles to include materials and overall quality control. Personally, I feel like the 6920 quality remained mostly the same until the late teens when you started to see the QR codes and laser engraved markings on the lowers vs the traditional roll marks.

The 6940, upper receiver aside, was in the same boat as far as military spec parts and when it was designed, was a really good upgrade with the integrated pic rail. That said, it was discontinued several years ago due to poor sales and (yet another) Colt bankruptcy. It was reintroduced in the last year or two and seems to be hit and miss as far as supply goes. Again, a good design but with the integrated quad rail, a bit dated and IMHO Colt really should look to modify the forging to work with the Mlok to be relevent.

The biggest down side to a 6940 is that virtually no one can work on them because of the proprietary barrel nut. My buddy at the Colt custom shop said the factory itself only has a couple barrel nut tools and aside from them, I only know of us and Specialized Armament that has one.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own quite a few AR’s but am not an “AR guy”. What exactly is a “high end” AR and what do they cost?

Stuff from lmt, lwrc, Daniel defense, larue, noveskie, KAC —- probably missing a few
Prices starting at $1800 or so. Since they all look roughly the same on the outside, you’re buying better metallurgy, higher QC with the forgings and other things you don’t see, but likely out of the box will have better triggers, rail systems and buis

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own quite a few AR’s but am not an “AR guy”. What exactly is a “high end” AR and what do they cost?
The Colt I was referring to is an OEM version without a handguard and stock that can be bought for about $800 or so I think.

Daniel Defense ARs go for $1700-2000 or more depending on what you get.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But with this stupid new "in the business" rule taking effect in like a week I'm not sure how to sell privately.

Might be worth waiting to see if it is challenged and placed on hold.

Of course, if someone wants to use their OK SDA permit to complete a 4473 that'd work too. :)

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But with this stupid new "in the business" rule taking effect in like a week I'm not sure how to sell privately.

Might be worth waiting to see if it is challenged and placed on hold.

Of course, if someone wants to use their OK SDA permit to complete a 4473 that'd work too. :)

Will it apply to a guy that might sell one or two guns a month?

I thought that was more to single out operators like the fellow in Arkansas who got ambushed last month - was literally selling 30-40 firearms a month I read

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Stuff from lmt, lwrc, Daniel defense, larue, noveskie, KAC —- probably missing a few
Prices starting at $1800 or so. Since they all look roughly the same on the outside, you’re buying better metallurgy, higher QC with the forgings and other things you don’t see, but likely out of the box will have better triggers, rail systems and buis

I don't know a lot about AR's, but I think the Springfield Armory Saint Edge is priced less than the $1800 and seems to be a good rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom