Cool Spotting Scope Setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdie All,

I put the kit below together last week and decided to share a few images. I can set it up to monitor my target and just glance over my rifle at it to see how I am doing
(the few shots shown were from initial test firing of new AR). Mounts are $18 & up on ebay.

Spotting Kit.jpg

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would definitely like to know more about this setup. I've seen mounts to use an iPhone, but I hate those things. My wife has been bugging me to get her a tablet and if I could use it occasionally for something like this, I might just be up for getting her one.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the components:

1) just about any spotting scope, best with angled eyepiece so you can see screen from shooting position. Many come with tabletop tripods, or get one for $15. I am using an Aim 30-90x spotting scope for about $70 on Amazon.

2) the mount I found on eBay for about $20. Search for "telescope camera mount" or "camera telescope adapter". Optics planet and Amazon also have them, but for $35-50. My guess is that the $17 ones on eBay, with fewer components will work fine and may even be easier to line up.

3) Next you will need an attachment for your tablet. The mount came with one for a cell phone, but it was too small. On Amazon, I got a tablet mount for $6. Search for "case star mount". It was meant for their "octopus tripod" but has a standard thread for tripod mounts. As my nexus is a bit narrow, I added a bit of foam to the mount so its springs hold better.

4) As for a tablet, I am using a nexus 7 gen 2...any with a camera should be fine.

5) the case is a plano xtl 10088 case, about $30... More or less you will need interior of 8 x 10 x 5.

The tricky part is lining the tablet/phone camera up with the scope eyepiece. Best way is to start with the camera lens a few inches away, get the eyepiece evenly in frame, then move until your camera is able to image through the scope. Once that is set up, zoom your camera so that the image fills the screen.... Best to tinker at home with this so you can do it smoothly once at the range.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are the components:

1) just about any spotting scope, best with angled eyepiece so you can see screen from shooting position. Many come with tabletop tripods, or get one for $15. I am using an Aim 30-90x spotting scope for about $70 on Amazon.

2) the mount I found on eBay for about $20. Search for "telescope camera mount" or "camera telescope adapter". Optics planet and Amazon also have them, but for $35-50. My guess is that the $17 ones on eBay, with fewer components will work fine and may even be easier to line up.

3) Next you will need an attachment for your tablet. The mount came with one for a cell phone, but it was too small. On Amazon, I got a tablet mount for $6. Search for "case star mount". It was meant for their "octopus tripod" but has a standard thread for tripod mounts. As my nexus is a bit narrow, I added a bit of foam to the mount so its springs hold better.

4) As for a tablet, I am using a nexus 7 gen 2...any with a camera should be fine.

5) the case is a plano xtl 10088 case, about $30... More or less you will need interior of 8 x 10 x 5.

The tricky part is lining the tablet/phone camera up with the scope eyepiece. Best way is to start with the camera lens a few inches away, get the eyepiece evenly in frame, then move until your camera is able to image through the scope. Once that is set up, zoom your camera so that the image fills the screen.... Best to tinker at home with this so you can do it smoothly once at the range.

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Perfect. Thanks!!

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi beardking,

I make a quick video that walks you through the parts and how to set it all up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi6gB1WP690

Thank you very much, that definitely helped me visualize things a little better. Looks like my wide might just be getting that tablet for her birthday after all. She won't mind me hijacking for a day every once in a while. :-)

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I used the setup for the second time today, and with it being somewhat more windy, it wasn't as stable. The tablet caught more of the wind and because the spring in its bracket is weak, it periodically moved.

I plan on rectifying this with a tweak: a tripod adapter mount designed specifically for my Nexus Gen 2. That should add considerably more stability.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121155232111?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Latest posts

Top Bottom