Crazy Group ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seating depth can also do this. If the bearing surface of the NBT's is different than the Vmax, you may have to tune seating depth. Amond my group of shooters, we call this "two grouping". I have a 308 that did this until I adjusted seating depth, and then it laid them all into a tight little covey of holes.

This. Also check a few bullets and verify weight. Had some of another brand that 4 in 10 would be 3.5-5 gn light out of the same lot. That looks very plausible looking at the target also. But most likely it's seating depth.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like a scope issue. For it to shoot that tight of groups seperately, but using same bullet, primer, powder weight and seating depth, it would either be scope or bedding. Since you didnt pull stock off and put back on between groups, doubt thats it. But if you had the stock off recently, it could have settled from recoil between groups. Best thing to do is shoot several more and bang on the scope a little and since if point of impact moves again. If it does replace scope.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did notice today when I pulled it out of the truck that the action is loose, very loose, in the stock. Maybe that could contribute. Still have not been back to the range but will report more soon.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing at a time or you'll make some false moves.

First, tighten up the action. Then shoot. I suspect that's your whole problem.

If it's not, suspect the scope next. I really don't think you have an ammo problem. Both groups are too tight. Something moved.

When troubleshooting, never make more than one change before testing the effects of the change. You'll end up chasing your tail.

Last edited:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got out today and shot a couple groups. Much better. Here is a 5 shot with the handloads. I could cover it with a penny and didn't pull out the calipers but think it is right at .6". I shot another group before I left with some Fiochi 55 vmax and it was just under an inch. It was pretty windy today and that may have opened them up a little but they ought to kill prairie dogs well. Here are the pics. Thanks for the advice guys.
i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_SavGrp55BT_zps3182b4f6.jpg

i35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_SavGrFiochi55vmax_zps21d59cd2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom