Crossbow lethality

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does any one know the max distance (not including shot placement which is most important) that the bolt/arrow is still leathal? Formula ect... any help would be apperciated

Gary

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Practically any speed that it retains while in flight, including if you just tossed it off a tall building, will penetrate enough to cause serious injury or death if it hits the right spot.

The sharp metal tip on the end makes an arrow (or crossbow bolt) penetrate soft tissue easily at speeds that a bullet would just leave a bruise.

The max distance for hunting is about 30-40 yards mostly because a deer can hear the shot and move before the arrow gets there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A crossbow bolt @ 300fps will have the same effect as an arrow shot at 300fps from a compound. Crossbows are not any more powerful than a compound bow with identical ranges. It just allows somebody like me that can't draw a bow any longer because of an injury to still get out in the woods during bow season.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought I am disabled also so this will give me the opportunity to archery hunt. The 30 to 40 yards was my real question I guess and that makes all the sense in the world since paper (block) targets do move thanks guys

Latest posts

Top Bottom