Crow hunting at Ft. Cobb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They taste kind of like Robins. MMMM Goood.
This struck me funny for a different reason. Wyatt Earp besides being a lawman was well known at the time for his restaurants. He was something of a Wild West gourmet. He claimed that the best eating bird in N. America was the Robin. He had a number of dishes made of them. Of course, I'll have to take his word about it since they are illegal to take nowadays.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard people for years talk about Crow hunting at Ft. Cobb but recently i was told that was 30 years ago and its not what it is cracked up to be. :scratch: anyone been there in the recent years?

Seems I remember the wildlife department poisoned them. The peanut farmers were going broke year after year. Back when I worked in the city my buddies and I would go down there 2 or 3 times a year and shoot them. It was a site to behold. They would literally darken the sky as they flew to roost. Those suckers figured out how high they needed to fly to stay out of reach of regular 12 ga shotguns. We picked up a couple long barreled 10 ga magnum goose guns and would crank a round off evey now and then to stir em up. They would kind of fly crazy for a while, which meant we could shot our old 12 ga at them. Big boys, big toys.......

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crows left because the peanuts aren't being farmed like they were. There are few die hards that plant still, but most of the farmers stopped planting peanuts after their subsidies were bought up and no one is growing much of anything like they were years ago. Most of the peanut fields are either pasture or wheat. Those that had pivot irrigation are mostly corn, but a lot of those are wheat too.

My neighbor kept 80 acres of peanuts over the last few years, but his well went out this year and he planted it in wheat and won't plant it back in peanuts because the money's not there.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cousin ba knows. Our relatives were peanut farmers back then and I spent many hours sneaking around their farms in Caddo County with a .22 rifle trying to get me a crow. The first one I got was a fine trophy for me but it was a long time coming. We will be back on the old farm for a Christmas get together this weekend and some hunting together. The coyotes, geese, ducks, pigs, rabbits and quail better watch out. Maybe even a deer, which were nowhere to be found around the home place when we were kids, but are now a pestilence according to our uncles that still farm alfalfa out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom