CZ P-01 vs. PCR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My next pistol will be a CZ-75 decocker of one of the two varieties. Looking for input on pros/cons of the two variants listed.

Keep in mind, this will be primarily for concealed carry, so I don't really need the rail system, etc. on the P-01. Would appreciate input from those who have handled both. The general wisdom seems to be that the P-01 is more of a duty gun, while the PCR is more of a private carry piece.

Thoughts?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I don't have either, but I do like the looks better on the PCR, than the P01. The PCR looks sleek compaired to the P01. If it was me, JMO, I'd get the PCR.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either will serve you well and will carry about the same - you'll find that holsters made for the Walther P99 will fit the P-01 (also M&P holsters will work in a pinch). I'm not too sure who all out there makes a holster for the CZ 75 Compact style frame with no rail.

I'm sure there are manufacturers out there who do, but I've began to carry my P-01 almost exclusively (honestly, having it as another option to carry was the only reason I could let go of that Sig 239) in a UBG holster and I honestly don't know why I never came around to it back when I was carrying things like an M&P Compact or a G19.

The most important thing with either of these guns is to find a holster with just enough cant in it that the beaver tail doesn't spear your side when you lean over to your strong side.

I got a P-01 back when I was looking for one and I think Budsgunshop.com had the compacts way cheaper. I personally like the P-01 over the compact mostly because the frame (specifically the dust cover) covers the bottom half of the slide all the way to the muzzle end of the gun.

That's the main reason I dislike the full-size 75 over other guns like the 97 or the SP-01 - I don't honestly have a reason for that other than aesthetics, but keeping in mind that the CZ's design is that the slide sits exclusively inside the frame and doesn't wrap around it, I like the fact that the dust cover goes all the way to the muzzle (again I'm weird like that).

I thought I read on CZ's website back when I got mine that the P-01 gave you something that the standard compact didn't (though I wouldn't know for sure if it gave you something that the PCR did not). Honestly I can't even remember what that was now though and their site doesn't show much at all except for a generic description of all CZ 75 models on the P-01 page.

I also like the option of hanging a light off of the rail should I ever want to (not that I've ever had a need up to now) but without the rail, you absolutely cannot. And the few ounces of weight that the extra dust-cover / rail gives you is always welcome when putting a lot of rounds in a single target (not that its more than 1-2oz, but I always prefer more weight, especially at the muzzle on guns that I might have to defend my life with).

The sights on the PCR that's currently on CZ's website look way better than the cheesy glow-in-the-dark "night-sights" that came with my P-01, but I don't know if that's a change that they made on all of their newer pistols.

Either way, you won't be disappointed.

I'd say to go check out the Sig P228 as well - I was amazed when I got my P228R how similar it is to my P-01 in size, and function. Decocker and slide-stop are in different places, but its still a very good feeling gun in almost the exact same footprint (no beavertail to worry about).

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CZ 75 .40 has been my favorite defensive gun for a long time and the full size steel model seems to carry and feel lighter than what the scale would read. It is so well balanced and handles recoil so well, I hate to go with something smaller and lighter, but if I need something smaller, I drop down to an airweight .38 snub or my Kel tec .380 auto.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the P01 and SP01; carry both at times and like them both, for many of the same reasons as ez bake.

Can't go wrong with CZ at all

minman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the PCR. I was also torn between it and the PO1. I didn't really care for the ability to put a light on it, and the PCR looks a lot cleaner and i thought it would carry better, so that is what I went with. I have not been disappointed in this gun at all. I love the way it handles and shoots. I have not been able to carry it yet, since I haven't bought a holster for it, but I will be in the near future.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, all. As I was mentioning, this gun would be exclusively for carry, so lights aren't really a concern. I was mainly wanting snag-free sights, etc.

I'd say to go check out the Sig P228 as well - I was amazed when I got my P228R how similar it is to my P-01 in size, and function. Decocker and slide-stop are in different places, but its still a very good feeling gun in almost the exact same footprint (no beavertail to worry about).

Funny you should mention that...I had the opportunity to get an "old school 228 from a friendd (proof marks said 1989). It was simply the nest balanced pistol I'd ever held...but the grips are too fat for my short fingers. CZs of all stripes have slimmer grips, and are lower in the bore axis.

Latest posts

Top Bottom