Dadgum Methodists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn’t ether, that’s just awful and not scriptural. At our last church they did away with passing the plate and put a giving box at the church entrance. If you wanted to give then that’s where it went. The pastor didn’t like the idea of passing the offering plate which could intimidate someone into giving when it wasn’t coming from a joyful heart which is the only kind money God wants. God truly blessed that church and within two years giving was close $3,000,000.00 which allowed us to spread the word to Judea (Yorba Linda), Samaria (Mexico) and to the remotest parts of the world (Kosovo, China and South America, etc…).
We did the same about 15y ago, box in the hallway by the church office, and several ways to give on line or by app. Millions and millions given across the globe and in inner city NYC as well as locally in several aspects.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really have a horse in this race as I'm not a Methodist. My dad's family (4 brothers/4 sisters) were strongly Methodist so I attended a small-town Methodist church when visiting them as a youngster. In my very earliest years, they had not yet become "United" and it was just the local congregation with some hierarchy in a state-level organization. Later, they became "United" with the Brethren (IIRC) and that small-town congregation decided to build a new church to replace the old "country-style" building. The family members attending in that small-town congregation contributed significantly to the building fund, especially my dad's oldest brother and wife. I know they were there every time the doors opened and served in various capacities over the years, 1950s-80s in my memory.

In those later years, smaller congregations had to share ministers among themselves and were among the first to receive women assigned as ministers. I know my uncle found this especially irritating when my aunt passed away in the early 90s as he was very traditional when it came to things like funerals. In the late 90s, I was one of the executors of his estate/will, I was very surprised to find he didn't leave a thing to the church in the will.

I stated all the above to simply reflect on the changes I observed and how those were resented by pillars of the congregation. The current situation is merely another stop on the road to ruin that was easily predictable years ago. The only difference now is that a significant portion of the congregations will no longer be ruled by those seeking to be on the social cutting edge.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be aware, when it comes to the vote, anyone registered as a member has to be notified and gets a vote. That also includes any past clergy. And dissaffiliation has to pad by 66.7%
About a year ago it was discovered that no official membership list could be found. No one knows what happened to it. They are now trying to reconstitute the list taking people at their word they are members. Those who are technically still members but have moved on to other churches are not likely to contact the church to get put back on the roles and the church will have no way to notify them of the vote.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a year ago it was discovered that no official membership list could be found. No one knows what happened to it. They are now trying to reconstitute the list taking people at their word they are members. Those who are technically still members but have moved on to other churches are not likely to contact the church to get put back on the roles and the church will have no way to notify them of the vote.
That could be good or bad depending on how the conference decides to take it. One thing I didn’t like is when they are sending out letters to ask if someone wants to remain a member our church for some reason is treating a non response as a conformation they are still a memeber

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many bibles out there to read from.
Going to a building with other people and listening to their interpretation has not got me any closer to God than staying at home and believing in what I think the book means.

In 7th grade I left the Southern Baptist because I did not believe all the fire and brimstone they spewed.
I walked right out of church and to my home 3 miles away. Grounded for 2 weeks of course.
Went back and got my bicycle stolen.
Tried another church within walking distance of the house.
Stayed for 2 weeks but as a kid the other kids just wanted to mingle.

I wanted nothing to do with the "daycare" kiddie classes and just stayed in the big auditorium the entire time. I dod not want to know anyone at the church I just wanted to learn the word.
Learned no more than I could reading for myself.

Live a good life and be a good person and do good by yourself and by others and that is good enough for me and no "building" with other people can improve upon that for me.

I spent the days with my grandmother taking her food and cooking for her and repairing and cleaning things around her house and just be with her.

I figured the Lord would rather me do that than go to some Church and sit on my butt with ears open .

My bible thumpin siblings and mother and father rarely helped my grandmother out and would even lay the phone down when she called and just let her talk by herself.

Rude!
And send me to church to learn things..Yea right. Learned plenty by myself.

If you love a church I hope you find a good one but if you have an elderly person you know that could use some help now and then do not avoid them.

Never heard that preached in church but I have heard we need money and then send all the kids to a camp or buy new carpet or new pews that were not needed.

Sorry Rant over :)
Don't forget the new sound systems now. Can't have church without a way to play sound tracks and record now pass the donation plate.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t know there were more than one. It’s the one that got a new preacher a few months ago.:anyone:
I think there are actually 4. One of them being an Indian UMC that I don’t know much about. I would guess it’s Wesley. Mt Zion has had its breached for about 2 years now and Ellison Ave is a very small older congregation that I don’t think gets new anything often. Is his name Dylan? I think I heard that’s the Wesley preacher

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That could be good or bad depending on how the conference decides to take it. One thing I didn’t like is when they are sending out letters to ask if someone wants to remain a member our church for some reason is treating a non response as a conformation they are still a memeber
:uhwhat:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t ether, that’s just awful and not scriptural. At our last church they did away with passing the plate and put a giving box at the church entrance. If you wanted to give then that’s where it went. The pastor didn’t like the idea of passing the offering plate which could intimidate someone into giving when it wasn’t coming from a joyful heart which is the only kind money God wants. God truly blessed that church and within two years giving was close $3,000,000.00 which allowed us to spread the word to Judea (Yorba Linda), Samaria (Mexico) and to the remotest parts of the world (Kosovo, China and South America, etc…).
I know this church. The pastor is an inspired man. We really enjoyed his sermons and the background work he did to deliver "fun facts" while teaching. We should visit again and see how it's going.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there are actually 4. One of them being an Indian UMC that I don’t know much about. I would guess it’s Wesley. Mt Zion has had its breached for about 2 years now and Ellison Ave is a very small older congregation that I don’t think gets new anything often. Is his name Dylan? I think I heard that’s the Wesley preacher
Yep, that’s him. He was a nice guy and I liked him, but he did have his liberal leanings. Don’t know how that meshes with that congregation. He did like to go out shooting with us from time to time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom