Dangerous Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were just me I'd use bear spray and escalate from there as needed. But since I have 6, 8 & 9 year old little girls that love to play outside.... The dogs would be gone after the first and only warning I would give the owner.
this.
Doesn't sound like the owners are going to understand anything, so watch your back.
...and, this.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So have you talked to the owners and if so what have they said? I absolutely hate to see a dog shot but that is crazy. I wouldn't want to find out later those dogs killed someone and I could have possibly done more to stop it. Good luck in whatever you decide.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My neighbors would not understand that. We called the Sheriff's this morning, to follow up on the complaint we filed. Now, I have never filed a complaint in my life, until the day before yesterday. As it was explained to me, I stand on very firm legal ground.

As was already stated, i don't think your neighbor will understand if anything happens to them. Your options, as i see it, are lethal force or less than lethal if the neighbors don't do anything. Did the sheriff offer to visit your neighbor and inform them of the legality of things? I'm guessing there isn't a leash law where you live, is there?

Either option can escalate the situation with your neighbors quickly. Get the sheriff involved as much as possible, each time something happens. Hopefully, the more frustrated they get from hearing from you, the more likely they will be to make the point to the neighbor.

I'll also add that i believe it's generally considered easier to hit a charging dog with spray than with a handgun. Having the spray gives you a good chance to getting clear if you find yourself without a long gun.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kill all of them except one. Give that one your weak forearm, then give him your strong firearm. You will now be able to show the dip-**** owner that you had good reason to kill them.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kill all of them except one. Give that one your weak forearm, then give him your strong firearm. You will now be able to show the dip-**** owner that you had good reason to kill them.

This is kind of what I was thinking, but I would probably invest in a bite sleeve first. I've been bit in the bare arm by a pit and it is no fun. My friend's pits were fighting each other and we both got locked onto trying to break it up; they didn't mean to harm us..we were just in their way of each other(we have matching scars now).

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great opportunity to test out your self defense loads. Heres my request list
12ga
Winchester pdx12
Federal personal defense
Pistol ammo
Hornady critical duty or defense ( either would be appreciated)
Winchester pdx1 or ranger t
Speer gold dot or short barrel

Rifle ammo
Hornday tap or amax
GREEN TIP
Wolf gold

Ill be looking forward to the review.

Above was my way of making a funny. Seriously though if those dogs are roaming free and being aggressive its just a problem waiting to happen. Do what you legally can to prevent these dogs from hurting somebody.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As was already stated, i don't think your neighbor will understand if anything happens to them. Your options, as i see it, are lethal force or less than lethal if the neighbors don't do anything. Did the sheriff offer to visit your neighbor and inform them of the legality of things? I'm guessing there isn't a leash law where you live, is there?

Either option can escalate the situation with your neighbors quickly. Get the sheriff involved as much as possible, each time something happens. Hopefully, the more frustrated they get from hearing from you, the more likely they will be to make the point to the neighbor.

I'll also add that i believe it's generally considered easier to hit a charging dog with spray than with a handgun. Having the spray gives you a good chance to getting clear if you find yourself without a long gun.

When the problem announced itself last August, my wife and I visited a family member - the owner of the land on which the house and house trailer sit. The ownership of the dogs is pushed from one family member to another. Ultimately, no one seems to bear responsibility. My wife is coming back with a friend in a little while, and will call me before she gets here. I will be waiting, with the iPhone camera. I have told her to shoot to kill the animals if they ever approach her, but I won't do so unless I think 3 or 4 of them are going to get on me. And yes, I mean to involve the Sheriff's dept very much in this, and am already doing so. I don't intend to escalate anything on my own, I want the Law on my side every step of the way.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the problem announced itself last August, my wife and I visited a family member - the owner of the land on which the house and house trailer sit. The ownership of the dogs is pushed from one family member to another. Ultimately, no one seems to bear responsibility. My wife is coming back with a friend in a little while, and will call me before she gets here. I will be waiting, with the iPhone camera. I have told her to shoot to kill the animals if they approach her, but I won't do so unless I think 3 or 4 of them are going to get on me. And yes, I mean to involve the Sheriff's dept very much in this, and am already doing so. I don't intend to escalate anything on my own, I want the Law on my side every step of the way.

Does the owner of the land reside there? Or do they rent to these people? At some point it becomes a liability issue. We've had one success contacting the owner of the land about problem dogs. Especially after an attorney we ride with sent a registered letter informing them of the financial cost associated with known problem dogs should they hurt someone.

But we try any tactics we can because our sheriff doesn't like to get involved. We had one incident where we flat had to ask the sheriff if they'd prefer to talk to the people before we got bit, or after we got bit (which would also legally require the sheriff to take a report at the hospital). Ultimately they opted for the first option since it was one less bit of paperwork.

Good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom