dealing with the police during a traffic stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzManG149

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being EX Law Enforcement if someone handed me there SDA card when I stopped them that would be telling me that they are carrying otherwise why hand me the card. If you handed me an SDA card and wasnt carrying and I asked you where your weapon was I would think you would feel alittle awkward.

kar15ma

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question, I know you have to inform the LEO when you are stopped and carrying, but does the law state that you have to inform them of where it is? I don't have my CCW so I don't carry ever, but I plan to get it in the future. I haven't taken the class so I haven't had the opportunity to ask. I understand that they would like to know the location of the gun for their safely but are you technically required to do so?

juscvin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only problem I see with just handing the Officer your CCW is if you are asked to retrieve something else from inside the vehicle Im going to be watching you and not looking at the cards in my hand. If the LEO sees a gun without you having verbally informed him of it and has not looked at your CCW card it could lead into a very interesting few minutes. When I get stopped carrying I hand my commission and cert card with my DL and tell the Officer that I have a handgun and its location what you have to realize is that this guy might be fresh out of CLEET and be much more nervous than you

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only problem I see with just handing the Officer your CCW is if you are asked to retrieve something else from inside the vehicle Im going to be watching you and not looking at the cards in my hand. If the LEO sees a gun without you having verbally informed him of it and has not looked at your CCW card it could lead into a very interesting few minutes. When I get stopped carrying I hand my commission and cert card with my DL and tell the Officer that I have a handgun and its location what you have to realize is that this guy might be fresh out of CLEET and be much more nervous than you

In my experience, the LEO is going to ask if you are armed and then if on your person or in the car before they proceed with any other business.

juscvin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a LEO and yeah in a perfect world that's how it goes but we are people and we forget simple questions on a bad night or maybe it's a new kid on one of his first few stops. All im saying is in my opinion it would be better to simply say here is my CCW I have a handgun and its location than to risk the potential bad outcome.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had one forget ask if he pulled me over and if he did forget I would certainly bring it up. I have gone through a couple of OHP check points where I handed them my license, CCW, and insurance. They handed them back to me and said have a nice day.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what's the big deal with saying ... I'm a CCW permit holder and I'm packing. that's always worked fine for me.

question: say I'm shopping at homedepot or reasors, which hires off-duty LEO for security.
typically are near front door. if the LEO says hello as you pass... do you need to immediately inform LEO you are packing?

juscvin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had one forget ask if he pulled me over and if he did forget I would certainly bring it up. I have gone through a couple of OHP check points where I handed them my license, CCW, and insurance. They handed them back to me and said have a nice day.

Im not saying forgetting to ask is a regular occurrence but you have to remember you may get stopped 10-15 times in your life the LEO your dealing with probably stops 3-4 times that many people a week. I guess a better way to put that is if he doesn't ask and you have to move around in the car to retrieve insurance information or for any other reason you really should tell him if he forgot to ask and not rely on him looking at your card.

_CY_ No because when working off duty you aren't a LEO and it's not an official contact you are just a security guard

Latest posts

Top Bottom