Decided to build a .300 AAC Blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sweet, I sure hope it starts cooling down faster. Call me when your ready to cronograph them. I think I'd like to pull a bullet on each so we can weigh the charges and figure out what powder they are using.

Ron

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For being a "competitor" for suppressed SMGs, I wasnt impressed. I built a 10" BLK using all noveske parts, ran with AAC Suppressor and really didnt care for the round. Keep in mind, this round is supposed to be a replacement for all the "MP5,9mmAR,UMP" type weapons (Short Barrel Supressed rifles). Anyway, I sold my upper after a few hundred rounds.

Dont get me wrong. Im not knocking anyone who likes it or wants it or has it, I just dont see the point of it. For me, its a solution to a non-existent issue.

Koshinn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For being a "competitor" for suppressed SMGs, I wasnt impressed. I built a 10" BLK using all noveske parts, ran with AAC Suppressor and really didnt care for the round. Keep in mind, this round is supposed to be a replacement for all the "MP5,9mmAR,UMP" type weapons (Short Barrel Supressed rifles). Anyway, I sold my upper after a few hundred rounds.

Dont get me wrong. Im not knocking anyone who likes it or wants it or has it, I just dont see the point of it. For me, its a solution to a non-existent issue.

Not targetted towards you, but I really don't like the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. Innovation rarely takes giant leaps, it's often incremental. That being said, the 300AAC is an interesting round because it can use STANAG mags and regular AR lower receivers.

Let's look at, say, a 9mm sub machine gun or AR and compare it to a 5.56 AR.
Firing supersonic without regards to noise, the 5.56mm round will outperform 9mm in terminal ballistics and range, although will most likely lose in penetration (depending on loads). Firing subsonic where their velocities are equal, the 9mm round will win in every way. The 300AAC round is somewhere in the middle of everything. It can outperform 5.56 subsonic and outperform 9mm supersonic. The advantage is that all it requires is changing magazines (or alternating your bullets I guess, but that's kind of strange). Interestingly (or perhaps not), a supersonic 300AAC round is very similar to a 7.62x39 round (300AAC: 125gr OTM @ 2250ft/s vs 7.62x39: 123gr FMJ @ 2400ft/s). From the "stopping power" perspective the 300AAC round could completely replace 5.56mm. From ballistics at longer ranges, I have no idea, but that's possible too.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah... but for hunting (and subsonic shooting), its way better than 9mm and .223/5.56 (it would be even more awesome if OK allowed suppressors while hunting like some of the free states do).

Latest posts

Top Bottom