Deer at 500 Yards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know I still have a lot to learn but, I am a third generation reloader and I hope my son is the forth generation. I do lots of reading and I enjoy myself working up different loads. I like to try to get everything out of every gun I own by tailoring custom loads that each gun likes. I have had the privilege to work (or play) with some of the best guy’s in the world. As far as I am concerned and it kills me to see some of these guy’s weight in on conversations they know nothing about. As I said, I learn something everyday. Like shot gun patterns just a couple days ago.

Now for you guys that only bring your guns out once or twice a year excluding deer season. It would do you good to gain more of an understanding how different projectiles work. Like the difference in a SST, Partition or the swift “A” frame projectiles work, so you can build loads that perform up to your expatiations. You will never learn this by buying you ammo from Walmart.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sure am glad I stayed out of this one. Might have made a couple of enemy's
I have never been shy about expressing my opinion. I also hope to hear rational opinions from others viewpoints. That how we learn.

I do not understand why a person would even participate in a discussion where differing opinions are asked for if they know they might be offended by them. I offered my opinion as the original poster asked. If you believe I am wrong tell me why. I stated my reasons for my opinions, lets hear yours.

Michael

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been shy about expressing my opinion. I also hope to hear rational opinions from others viewpoints. That how we learn.

I do not understand why a person would even participate in a discussion where differing opinions are asked for if they know they might be offended by them. I offered my opinion as the original poster asked. If you believe I am wrong tell me why. I stated my reasons for my opinions, lets hear yours.

Michael

Its because of the perception of posters that think that any shot further than the one they shoot is unethical as has been expressed in this thread.

They have not spent the time at the range, loader, computer, to really know what a bullet, ballistics, does at long range.

They do not understand bullet dynamics.

One can contribute facts, only to be slammed as unethical.
I hope you understand my point.
Yes, I have killed deer at over 400 yds, and it wasn't spray and pray.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
:SNIP:
One can contribute facts, only to be slammed as unethical.
I hope you understand my point.
Yes, I have killed deer at over 400 yds, and it wasn't spray and pray.
I understand completely. You have offered your point of view in a rational way. This is how it should be in my opinion.
Personally I do not believe that 400 yards is that long of a shot with the right rifle cartridge. Would I take it, probably not. That is my personal choice. I have no problem if you choose to take it though.

What I do not understand is why folks get so upset when others disagree with them. We should be able to discuss a subject without anger.

Michael

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's opinion. I've purposefully stayed clear of the ethical or not ethical labels. Instead, as in the other thread, my thoughts are centered soley around the likelihood of making the shot and whether or not it is advisable based on that. As I said before, I wouldn't take the shot, but that's just my opinion and based on my skill level and the possibility for it turning out badly.

I do also think that this topic would make for an interesting competition... Firing cold bore from hunting type vantage points at various 15" targets of unknown distance and different angles of elevation. Shooter would have a range finder and ballistic data for their load.

I already know all of the ex-snipers can do it. In fact, most everyone on this board probably is capable of doing it except for me.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do also think that this topic would make for an interesting competition... Firing cold bore from hunting type vantage points at various 15" targets of unknown distance and different angles of elevation. Shooter would have a range finder and ballistic data for their load.

That's exactly what I do.

I haven't read the whole thread to know if someone mentioned this, but you might attend some of the long range matches in western OKlahoma to get a feel for how it's done. (i.e. equipment) Also what is possible, there are a lot of shooters in OKlahoma that can reach well beyond 500 yards with precision.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's exactly what I do.

I haven't read the whole thread to know if someone mentioned this, but you might attend some of the long range matches in western OKlahoma to get a feel for how it's done. (i.e. equipment) Also what is possible, there are a lot of shooters in OKlahoma that can reach well beyond 500 yards with precision.

Do you have more information on those matches?

Badley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the issues with Rifles like the 7mm win mag is the projectile it traveling so fast that it never has a chance to fully open up at close range. It was made for distance shooting. JMO!

Dude I get what your saying about bullet performance, but whats a 7mm Win mag? You talking about a 7/300 Win Mag or just a regular 7mm Rem Mag or a 7mm WSM? Never the less talking over peoples head and trumpiting cartriages they havent heard of are not gonna help in swaying their opinions.

I roll my own, and build for purpose and I take it you do too. Good luck this Fall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom