Deer Lease Etiquette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to run a little counter to others here: it depends on what the agreement is with the land owner.
IF the agreement was that you mow/grade/keep it nice year round as part of the hunting rights, then you definitely need to discuss with your brother and make sure he fully understands the situation.
IF NOT part of the agreement, then I’d let it go.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m going to run a little counter to others here: it depends on what the agreement is with the land owner.
IF the agreement was that you mow/grade/keep it nice year round as part of the hunting rights, then you definitely need to discuss with your brother and make sure he fully understands the situation.
IF NOT part of the agreement, then I’d let it go.
Funny that you bring up the landowner, because my brother just talked to him recently. A little background on the owner is that he is a wealthy businessman who lives in Dallas and inherited the property, and he only makes a trip down to see the place every 2-3 years and really doesn’t have a clue what we do to maintain the place (per my brother’s recent conversation). He actually told my brother that we probably didn’t need to mow this year, since we did last year….and every year for the last 30 or so. What he doesn’t understand is that one year without mowing and getting fallen timber off the roads would make the place unnavigable.
My wife doesn’t normally weigh in on this kind of stuff, but she said even though my brother is a @ss I should mow all the roads for my niece and nephew. :rolleyes2

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you make your side the easiest to access with the nicest roads, he'll just come hunt your side!!! :) :) I can say this from experience lol.
This would definitely be the case if my brother wasn’t a lazy hunter. He hunts in the same couple of spots every year that are practically within sight of his house, and instead of scouting and looking for better spots, he’ll gripe about not seeing any deer.🤦🏼

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny that you bring up the landowner, because my brother just talked to him recently. A little background on the owner is that he is a wealthy businessman who lives in Dallas and inherited the property, and he only makes a trip down to see the place every 2-3 years and really doesn’t have a clue what we do to maintain the place (per my brother’s recent conversation). He actually told my brother that we probably didn’t need to mow this year, since we did last year….and every year for the last 30 or so. What he doesn’t understand is that one year without mowing and getting fallen timber off the roads would make the place unnavigable.
My wife doesn’t normally weigh in on this kind of stuff, but she said even though my brother is a @ss I should mow all the roads for my niece and nephew. :rolleyes2
Knowing your niece and nephew are in the picture, I’d tend to agree with your wife. I will do, and tolerate a lot more for kids than I would an ungrateful adult.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not worth the family drama and IMO, you are not your brother’s keeper. You do you.

Similarly, my brother in law and I shared a lease for several years. I would work on it year round and he would go out a month before season to put up stands and would complain, “You have already claimed the good spots.” Those are good spots because I put in the work to make them good. Covid comes along and like many others, he lost his ever loving mind. He demanded that the whole family get Covid tests before we get together for any reason and refused to join us for holidays unless we got vaccinated.

Come January, I told the land owner I was not going to renew my part of the lease with my brother in law. His response was, “You are the only reason there is a lease and you are the only one I ever saw that cared for the property, so I am going to terminate the whole thing.” My brother in law was pissed when he got word from the land owner. I didn’t lose any sleep over it.
I'm with you about not getting vaccinated for anyone. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom