Deer whistle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had that almost happen a few times--a deer would run alongside my vehicle, so I'd slow down, figuring the hare-brained thing was going to shoot out in front of me. Sure as God made little green apples, the dumb SOB would, in fact, dart across in front of me.

Good Lord, those things are just plain stupid.
Until you’re hunting them.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and my hunting buddy were driving to his property a couple years ago.

He was doing 60 on a paved road that was somewhat rural. We hear and feel this huge side impact and he stops the vehicle. The first words out of his mouth was, alright, I got my first deer.

Unfortunately, we didn’t find it and the only thing it did to his suv was leave slobber marks on the passenger door I was sitting against.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not seen a deer deterrent that works yet. i work is rule America and travel all over the US. Every job site someone hits a deer. the best thing for a deer strike is something like a ranch hand guard. I have even seen those get smashed. But it does save the majority of the time. Hell I even hit a cow with the trailer I was pulling one time. got to love free range cattle.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been running Ranch Hand front end replacements on my trucks since the early 2000’s and have hit ALOT of deer with absolutely no damage to my trucks or the bumpers.
My current F250 and F550 have Ranch Hands, but my little Chevy 1/2 ton only has the grill guard that was on it when I bought it.
About 3 years ago, my wife had a deer run into the left front quarter panel of her Honda CRV and roll down the drivers side damaging both driver and passenger doors. If I remember right, that was an $8000 fix.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have much faith in deer whistles.

The company that I retired from after 31 years put two deer whistles on the front bumpers of every car, pickup and Suburban they had in the fleet which had to be at least 1500+ vehicles in three states.

The only deer that I've ever hit was up by Dover, Ok. one Sunday evening about dusk and I was driving a company pickup that had the two company mandated deer whistles mounted on the front bumper......so I'm leaning towards either deer whistles don't work or the doe I hit was deaf as a post. :)

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard of a few studies that seem to indicate that not mowing as frequently along the roadsides could reduce deer vehicle collisions. The mowing is said to promote better grazing, where older tougher grasses are less likely to provided good grazing and also discourage deer movement.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve heard of a few studies that seem to indicate that not mowing as frequently along the roadsides could reduce deer vehicle collisions. The mowing is said to promote better grazing, where older tougher grasses are less likely to provided good grazing and also discourage deer movement.
Good place for ground nesting birds to hatch a brood too. I wish they wouldn’t mow until after nesting season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom