Diamondback DB9 PIcs and Initial Impressions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took home a new toy today. Bough her from Tommy over at Sooner State Pawn. Very smooth transaction from Tommy. Thanks for great service! On to the impressions:

Size and Weight. Pretty self evident, but until you carry it in your pocket for a little bit you just don't understand how small this 9mm actually is. It's quite incredible, I don't even notice the pistol when it's resting in my pants pocket. The .80" in width is best in class. The barrel/slide length is just a bit longer than some others, but honestly I prefer the extra length. Could this be the lightest/smallest a 9mm design can get?
A

Comfort and Fit in the Hand. Out of all the pocket nines that I've tried (just about all of them even the R9), the DB9 is IMO the most comfortable to hold and aim. Feels and points natural. The Diamondback texturing on the sides of the grip is some of the best texturing I've ever felt on a polymer frame. In fact I think it's pretty much perfect, just the right amount of aggressiveness. They really grip the palm nicely. The other texturing is also nice. For me my pinky wraps perfectly under the grip/mag and sits nicely in the relief cut at the mag bottom. The small beaver tail helps with stability. Overall very comfortable for such a small size.
A-

Trigger. Long but smooth. Definitely very Kahr-like, which many consider the best of the mouse guns. I don't own a trigger pull scale, but I'd estimate a bit higher than the claimed 5 lbs. Probably somewhere between 6-7 lbs. A negative here would be the shape of the trigger. Not a huge negative, but overall the trigger is a bit too sharp at the tip. I will probably take off just a bit of material and smooth it out a bit. The reset is long, again very Kahr-like. A the top of it's class here.
B-

Sights.The sights are overall positive. They are polymer, would have preferred steel, but that's OK. The rear is dovetailed which also a nice bonus. Sight picture is surprisingly good, especially considering that the sights are low profile. They are also well finished, no sharp edges, nice and smooth to prevent catching/snagging on clothing. Speed of target acquisition is only average, which is to be expected with the small size.
B-

Magazine. Seems of high enough quality. Made in Italy, they are probably Mec-Gar, which are highly thought of. Browning, Remington, Sig Sauer, Walther and many other use Mec-Gar mags. Spring tension seems fine, nice and stiff. My follower is one the new ones. I also like the mag release on my DB9. Definitely stiff and low profile. But honestly that exactly what I want on such a small carry pistol. I like the baseplate as well. The relief cut in the baseplate makes a nice spot for my pinky to rest while gripping the gun. Feels way more stable with my pinky there. Also of note is that the mag drops freely from the mag. On the release and on insertion, there is positive and satisfying click.
B

Design. I really like the look of the Diamondbacks. I love and own Glocks so that should come as a no-brainer. Take down is a breeze, using a Glock-like take down was one best decision that DB could have made. The Zero Energy Striker is an innovative feature, and is a huge advantage over some of the other pocket 9s out there. The guide-rod and recoil springs are nice and stiff, which is needed to help tame the recoil. One negative here is that the inner rod on my DB9 is also out of square. It looks like a nail that's been hit slightly off center. You can see it in one of the pictures. Doesn't seem to affect anything. But it's something to keep an eye on.
B

Fit and Finish.
The finish on the slide is just average IMO. Very matte and has a light gritty feel to it. Kinda like 320 grit sandpaper. DB claims to use a salt bath nitrite finish. If that is the case then, durability and corrosion shouldn't be an issue. No machine marks are present on the exterior. Very light machining marks are visible on the interior, but you'd have to have a flashlight to make them out. The polymer frame is near perfect. No tits or burs are present, and the seam is flush and smooth. The barrel's feed ramp and throat are both polished. I may polish them even more if I notice FTFs, but for now I'll leave it as is, because it looks pretty good from the factory. The lands and groves in the barrel looks pretty good, but not polished. Would have been nice to have a chrome-lined barrel. But that's OK because it is a carry weapon and I'm not going to be shooting 10,000 rounds though it.
B-

Price and Value. Definitely a good value at it's current price. I wish that the package came with two mags, but you could say that for a lot handguns.
B+

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the DB9 out of the box. Kel-Tec and some of the other pocket pistol manufacturers are going to have to go back to the drawing board, because from what I've seen from the DB9 so far it blows them out of the water. From the size and weight, to the design of the weapon, there's certainly a lot to like with the DB9. I'm looking forward to posting a range report soon, hopefully that will be just as positive as my initial impressions have been. If so then this will be a huge winner.

Pictures in the post below...

Last edited:

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SEXYNESS!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

gmplaster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Great review. I looked for one of these last weekend at the Grand National Gun Show in Tulsa but didn't find it. I really like the DB380 so I think the DB9 will be a hit.

gmplaster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
"FirearmPatriot" on YouTube had no problems with his DB9 during the first 100 rounds. Then sent the firearm back to DB after experiencing multiple FTF's during later range sessions. Also assembly pin started to inch it's way out. DB fixed the FTF issues but not the assembly pin issue.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was aware of the assembly pin backing out issues. But that was an issue that never really concerned me. That's a simple fix, install a slight larger pin. As far as I know Diamondback is addressing the issue, and once the new pins are ready, they will ship them out to all the customers. So far my pin is holding strong at 187 rounds.

100 rounds 115 gr. PMC FMJ
50 round 124 gr. American Eagle FMJ
15 rounds 115 gr. MagTech Sport FMJ
12 Rounds 115 gr. Hornady FTX Critical Defense HP

I'll post a range review shortly, now that the forums are back up and running.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to handle on of these on Friday and was very impressed. Take down was very simple(glock-like). I noticed that they are made in Cocoa Florida like Kel Tec. I decided to go back Saturday and purchase it but someone beat me to it. I may just buy the Kel Tec PF 9 for $235 and save myself $130 for ammo.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my first range report. I went to the range twice over the last few days so I'll group both range trips into one. Pictures of a few of my targets are posted below. All the targets were set at 7yards, as I don't think it's really practical to set them farther out with the small size.

ai51.tinypic.com_24eqtm1.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_280o6zp.jpg

ai51.tinypic.com_2lsjsib.jpg

ai53.tinypic.com_2ntlqiu.jpg

And here is the round type and rounds counts. With any failures.

PMC Bronze 115 gr FMJ
124 rounds. 3 FTFs

American Eagle 124 gr FMJ
50 rounds. 2 FTFs. 1 Double Feed

MagTech 124 gr FMJ
50 rounds. 2 FTF

Hornady FTX Critical Defense 115 gr. HP
20 Rounds. No FTFs

First off the pistol is a joy to shoot, can't really say that about most other pocket nines! Love this little pocket pistol so far. In the first trip to the range I fired off 150 rounds and the second trip I fired off 94. I'm happy to report that my hand feels fine, with no swelling in the meaty area between the thumb and index finger. I was always sore after a range trip with my old Kel-Tec P-11. Not exactly sure as to why the Diamondback feels lighter in recoil than any other pocket 9 I've fired, but if I'd have to guess I'd say that it's a combination of a few things. First the barrel is slight longer (3") than the competition. Second the grip texture is superior, also the grip has more surface area in the length of the grip. The grip is thiner in width than most, but it's the sides of the grip that seems to have more surface area, which provides a nice surface purchase in the hand. Third the pistol has a decent sized beaver-tail for such a small package. And fourth I feel that the bore axis is lower than than the competition, which cuts back on muzzle flip, and directs more of the recoil back to the arm.

I was also pleased with the accuracy of the DB9. Took a few mags for me to figure out my point of hold, but I quickly got it figured it out. Mine shoots a little to the right and a little low, but no big deal, I'll tap the sights over just a hair, and just hold about an inch high. Initially I thought the sights were way off, but it was just the short sight radius coming into play. Just as it is with any pocket sized handgun, you really have to train and focus on a consistent trigger pull, as even the slightest jerking or flinch will throw a round way off target because the short sight radius. Definitely need a nice smooth pull if you want accuracy at 7 yards, but it's doable. If you do your part, it will put rounds on target accurately. The DB9 does have a smooth trigger pull, so that helps with staging. I feel that the DB9 is right there with the Rohrbaugh R9, as the most accurate of the pocket nines.

Reliability is a mixed bag so far. I'm still breaking the pistol in and I'm definitely still in the test stage of finding the best ammo for her. So far I've only fired four different brands of ammo through her. PMC Bronze seems to run smoothly. My first 100 rounds of the PMC went 100% flawlessly. I did double taps, mag dumps, everything feed and fired perfectly. But somewhere around the 100 round count I started getting FTFs. About 1 every other mag. But honestly I think the gun was getting dirty at that point, and that came into play with my FTFs here.

American Eagle ran good as well but I did get one double feed, which concerns me. Accuracy was good with the AE. I know that one FTF was probably a result of limp wristing. I think I prefer the PMC over the AE at this point.

I was disappointed with the MagTech which is surprising, as MagTech normally runs smoothly for me in my other handguns. The gun being dirty may have come into play here as well. I'll have to test some more with a clean gun.

The Hornady HP ran 100%. Feed and ejected perfectly. Until I find something better this is my carry load. Very pleased with the accuracy I got with the Hornady!

Just like any other pocket sized gun if you limp wrist, the reliability drops considerably. Gotta hold her tightly. Overall I'm hoping for better reliability in the future as I continue to test and break her in. But I have to say, even with the FTFs, I feel more confident with the DB9 than I did with my P-11.

My round count is at 244 rounds and all three of my assembly pins are holding strong. I think it's the hot +P ammo that's causing the pin to start creeping. I don't think I'll ever shoot +P out of mine, as I'm quite satisfied with the Hornady Critical Defense ATM. My DB9 is one of the new ones, serial# YA44XX. Maybe the new ones are as susceptible to the pins backing out.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you compared the DB 9 and the Kel-Tec PF9 side by side and if so what are your thoughts on concealability? I'm kinda torn between the 2 and have not shot either. I'm wanting to replace my LCP and upgrade to a 9mm but don't really care for the LC9(do like the safety though). I like the P-11 but seems a little thick. I can either buy the DB for $365 or the PF-9 for $235. Do you believe the price difference is worth it based on your evaluations so far?

Latest posts

Top Bottom