Diamondback DB9 PIcs and Initial Impressions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I tested out all the pockets nines before settling on the DB9. My only concern with the DB9 was that it's a brand new design. Going into the purchase l knew I'd have a few kinks that I'll have to fight through, but so far Diamondback seems like that they stand behind their products and any improvements that I they make to the design (new pins, springs, etc...) they will send to me free of charge. The DB380 had it's fair share of problems early on, but now it's a rock solid design, that's very reliable. I feel that the DB9 will be as well. Based on it's features and potential of the design, it is IMO way above the rest of field.

I hated my P11, and got rid of it as soon as I could. The P11 gave my problems from the beginning to the end. Bad reliability and bad accuracy. The trigger can only be described as atrocious.

I did test out the PF9 throughly before deciding on the DB9. The DB9 is significantly smaller, and more narrow. The PF9 is 7+1 and the DB9 is 6+1. I'll take the lighter weight and smaller size over the extra round. The DB9 conceals much better. The DB9 IMO has the Kel-Tec whipped in the comfort and grip category. I preferred the sights on the DB9. The trigger is much better on the DB9. The DB9's trigger is similar to the feel of the Kahr PM9. The DB9 is striker fired and the PF9 is hammer fired. The DB9 has the Zero Energy striker which is a huge bonus, you can feel confidant with live round in the chamber. Break down is a breeze with the DB9, another bigger advantage for me. Is it worth the $100? In my opinion it is, which is why I went with the DB9. The PF9 is less refined, but it's a solid pistol. But IMO it lags behind the DB9 in just about every category. Honestly I think that Kel-Tec has to go back to the drawing board, they are behind the curve at the moment.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for taking the time to respond. I think that I may be sold on the DB9. I really like the look and feel. Field stripping should be very easy. I actually went to purchase one or the other, yesterday, but the DB9 had sold so I could not compare them side-by-side.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai1131.photobucket.com_albums_m550_steelhorse11_Photo0164.jpg

Just bought mine today. I've only put one mag through it but I am very impressed so far. It really is Glock-like and easy to field strip. This will replace my LCP after a few more boxes of shells are put through it. Thanks for the recommendation(Sanjuro82).

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As promised here is how I polished my feed ramp and barrel/chamber throat.

I use a 1/8" air Die Grinder for polishing my guns. I bought mine at Harbor Freight. It's this one here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/grinders/1-8-eighth-inch-air-micro-die-grinder-47869.html

I picked up a Rotary Tool Accessory Kit while I was there as well. I use there felt polishing pointed tip. You can use just about any rotary type tool out there like a Dremel. I went with the air powered rotary tool as I find that they last the longest and they are priced right as well.

For the polish I used Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish, it works great. I like Flitz as well.

The key is to go slow! Polish slowly! It's common knowledge but it's still worth mentioning, you can take material away, but you can't put it back. Basically polish all the areas I highlighted in red. It's pretty easy to obtain a mirror finish.

i51.tinypic.com_dlqhrs.jpg

i52.tinypic.com_2mgtf2b.jpg

i56.tinypic.com_nn2mx0.jpg

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK I'm back from Range Trip #3! I must say the DB9 is really starting to come into it's own. This was the best session with the DB9 for me by a long shot. This was also my first trip to the range after polishing my feed ramp and barrel chamber'/throat.

I feel that the polish did increase the reliability with feeding. My accuracy also improved. I'm now comfortable with holding high, and I've much improved on my trigger pull. I can actually stage the trigger now, which reduces the chance of jerking the pistol while firing.

Here's the ammo type and that I fired during this range trip.

50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ
1 FTF (double feed)

50 rounds of Federal Premium 9mm 115 gr JHP
1 FTF

25 rounds PMC Bronze 9mm 115 gr FMJ
Flawless!

20 rounds Glaser Pow'R Ball 9mm Luger +P 100 g
Flawless!

20 rounds Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain FTX
Flawless!

I really liked the way that the Pow'R Ball fired, very accurate. But I wonder what the expansion would be like? I shot only at paper targets. The Hornady Critical Defense ran perfect once again. I feel confidant with the Critical Defense and the Pow'R Ball as my carry loads. The cheap range ammo that I fired also ran a lot smoother than my previous two trips. Again, the polishing seems to have help. Also my mag springs are finally breaking in. Much easier to load now. After I clean her up tonight, I'm going to do a through inspection of the pistol to make sure everything is good to go (ie: no cracks or unusual wearing). I will post pictures.

Oh and my current round count stands at 409 through her and my assembly pins are still holding strong. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, as I know a lot of folks have mentioned this problem!

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any more updates? What about extra mags, are they available?

Mags and some other accessories are available here:
http://diamondbackfirearms.com/diamondback-accessories/db9.html

According to the Sales Manager at DB the nights sights and Crimson Trace lasers will be available very soon. I think some time this month. I'll probably pick up the night sights once they come out.

As for an update on my DB9. I'm now well over 500 rounds through mine. Approximately 530 rounds. The last 200 rounds through her have been pretty much flawless. But it has taken some tweaking to get her to his point. The break-in period was quite long, and honestly a bit frustrating at times. Currently I now feel very confidant in carrying the DB9. I can 100% confirm that the feed ramp and chamber polishing has solved almost all of the FTFs.

I've tried quite a few different brands and types of ammo as you probably already know from reading my other post in this thread. After the testing with the different ammo, I now use PMC (range and plinking) and Hornady Critical Defense (carry) exclusively. They both feed reliably and fire accurate.

Things to keep in mind with the DB9.

1. Limp wristing and the DB9 do not mix. This applies to most pocket guns, but especially so with the DB9. You limp wrist at all, and your FTFs will start to pile up. i think that quite a few of the FTFs that your hear/read about on the DB9 can be attributed to this.

2. This is new design so there are/is problems that arise. You have to understand that if you purchase one of the gen 1s. So far DB seems to be taking care of the issues that have arrived. For example: the mag follower problem has been fixed. They made slight changes to the machining of the feed ramp machine and chamber.

3. I noticed a small amount of wear on the polymer frame wear the spring occasionally makes contact with the frame. This showed up at the 300 round mark. Seems to have disappeared for now. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it.

4. Long term durability is to be continued, but so far nothing has "broke" on mine. I've even put 20 +P rounds through mine with no damage, and DB now says to not fire any +P in the DB9.

5. Again like most pocket guns the DB9 is a picky eater. Find what works and stick with it.

So far I really like the DB9! Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but mine is pretty sweet. Definitely a HUGE upgrade from the P11 that I used to carry.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested but I'll wait for the second generation. To many complaints at this time.
I need something reliable for CCW.

Not a bad idea. I think for the most part the DB design is a very good one. And once they work out all the minor kinks, it will be just about unbeatable in the ultra compact 9 category. Buying a Gen1 gun wasn't really a concern to me as I pretty much tweak/fine tune all of my guns. Getting the gun to where it is now (running reliably) is part the fun for me.

I'm definitely not seeing as many problems showing up in all the forums, so that tells me that a lot of the bugs are getting squashed. Keep in mind that a LARGE majority of FTFs and FTEs are a result of limp wristing. Most folks just don't know how to hold these short barreled pocket guns properly.

I also saw a post recently of a DB9 that showed a picture of a ruptured barrel. The guy claimed the failure was a result of using +P ammo in the DB9. But based off the picture it was pretty clear the failure was a result of a bore obstruction (maybe even a deliberate obstruction). I think the guy was trying to troll, maybe he's a Kel-Tec employee or something. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom