Difference between Colt's Official Police and Police Positive ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should know this but I'm getting old and the old information retrieval system doesn't operate like it once did.

What is the difference between a Colt Official Police and a Police Positive ? Same caliber, same barrel length, same grips.

I'm looking for one to add to my stuff, one from the 50's or 60's with a 4 inch barrel. I don't see many and haven't found one of each side by side to compare.

Thanks in advance,

Des

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going from memory here...The Official Police was on the same frame as the Python (the I-frame ?). The high dollar snake has a thicker top strap, though.

The Police Positive was on a smaller frame…and the Police Positive Special was on the D-frame (like the Detective Special).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going from memory here...The Official Police was on the same frame as the Python (the I-frame ?). The high dollar snake has a thicker top strap, though.

The Police Positive was on a smaller frame…and the Police Positive Special was on the D-frame (like the Detective Special).
Your memory serves you correctly here. I have an OP and a Police Positive Special, and have shot the Police Positive. In fact, the DS is simply a 2" version (a 3" in rare instances) of the PPS. The DS came out in 1927 and was a derivative of the old Fitz Special. The PPS was introduced in 1907 and is a slightly larger frame version of the Police Positive, which was first made a couple of years or so earlier.

Colt made other models of these guns over the years and the various model names and frame sizes can be somewhat confusing. During the 1950's, Colt finally settled on just two frame sizes for their DA revolver line, making several different models in each size, and continued this until they got the MK III line going in the late 1960's.

Personally, I like their DA wheelguns and I have a sample or two of them.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a police positive D frame, wanted a 2 inch shrouded barrel so I took off the 4 inch barrel and installed a Cobra barrel. I love the gun and love shooting it, it is easily my favorite shooter.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a police positive D frame, wanted a 2 inch shrouded barrel so I took off the 4 inch barrel and installed a Cobra barrel. I love the gun and love shooting it, it is easily my favorite shooter.
You are the exact opposite of me. If I had a Dick Special, I'd take the 2" off and install a 4".

In case you didn't know it, the Police Positive Special was one of the models that Colt made the longest. They made it from 1907 to around 1993 or somewhere around in there.

I think that Boston PD issued it, and it was authorized, IIRC, for off-duty and for non-uniformed on-duty use by NYPD and LAPD, and King County Washington issued one to my brother when he a patrolman. I have a PPS marked RHKP: Royal Hong Kong Police. It is in 38 S&W, (not 38 Special) and has the tropical finish and a lanyard ring in the bottom of the grip frame. According to the Colt serial number data, it was made in 1955.

They are superb guns, I think. It's a pity that Colt no longer makes DA revolvers.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Colt Police Positive -29 Nov - 1.jpg
Colt Police Positive -29 Nov - 2.jpg

Colt Police Positive; The Colt Database reads its as a Colt Police Positive Special; Manufacture Date 1977.

I believe the Smith and Wesson equivalent would be a Model 10 Heavy Barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom