Dillon 550 or 650/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Thompson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Dillon 550 and 650. The 550 is a much simplier loader and if you make a mistake, and you will, the 550 is easy to correct. Caliber changes are a lot harder on the 650. If I were you, I would go with the 550 first.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. It's an equivalent to the Dillon 650. (5 station, auto indexing). I have a brand new one that I haven't got setup yet. I got this one because the reviews were good on the press and customer service plus you get 1000 free bullets through a rebate. But the biggest reason is I got it from Midway for $386. Quite a bit cheaper than the Dillon 650. Just a better deal all around. IMO.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though I am planning on winning the raffle for the machine gun (look in NFA forum for details) it is not my intention on trading up. I really enjoy reloading. It's a stress release. for x-mas i asked for a dillon and got a Lee. I hate it. Some people have good luck with them but I am not one of those people.

What kind of Lee, and what is it doing wrong? There is some good footage on utube showing how to set up the Pro 1000. I have one of those, but it is still in the box waiting for some more bench space. CB

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. It's an equivalent to the Dillon 650. (5 station, auto indexing). I have a brand new one that I haven't got setup yet. I got this one because the reviews were good on the press and customer service plus you get 1000 free bullets through a rebate. But the biggest reason is I got it from Midway for $386. Quite a bit cheaper than the Dillon 650. Just a better deal all around. IMO.

Post a review after you've actually loaded some ammo with it.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm honestly curious about the quality of what Hornady has been shipping recently. Yeah, ours had some problems, but thankfully those went away when the presses were sold. My 550 isn't for sale and I doubt your 650 is either so it's win-win.

Shadowrider has a new one. I'd like to hear his impressions after actually using the press.

The original poster (tyromeo55) has a Lee 1000. I've heard they can run well if tweaked just right. It'd be a lot cheaper setup if he could get it tweaked to work reliably.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did a lot of research and did find that some people had issues with some of the older presses. At least from what I saw it appeared that the bugs had been worked out of the Hornady for the most part and I read from several people that Hornady's customer service was 1st rate.

I also bought a new Craftsman work bench but the top is warped. As soon as my replacement comes in from Sears I'll get this Hornady setup and running and let everyone know how it works out. If it's a POS I'll sell it and get the Dillon. But it looks to be good quality. I liked some of the features better than the Dillon so I took a gamble on it. We shall see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom