Dillon 550 or 650/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
olyeller, 1911user

What kind of problems were you having with the Hornady press. Mine is about ten thousand rounds old and I don't seem to have any problems. It could be that I am used to the Lee 1000 press I don't use any more getting out of adjustment all of the time.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
olyeller, 1911user

What kind of problems were you having with the Hornady press. Mine is about ten thousand rounds old and I don't seem to have any problems. It could be that I am used to the Lee 1000 press I don't use any more getting out of adjustment all of the time.

Quality control issues mainly: warped shellplates, bad castings on several parts, bad case ejection with 9mm, binding auto powder measures, and other issues. Not a good experience at all. I spent most reloading time fixing/adjusting/diagnosing the press instead of loading ammo and that was a fundamental problem.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quality control issues mainly: warped shellplates, bad castings on several parts, bad case ejection with 9mm, binding auto powder measures, and other issues. Not a good experience at all. I spent most reloading time fixing/adjusting/diagnosing the press instead of loading ammo and that was a fundamental problem.

Man I hate that. When I got mine it was like I'd died and went to heaven. Every thing worked 100% from day one.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
we really wanted to be the guys that beat the dillon juggernaut, too.

I spent a lot of time trying to think of mods and tweaks so that it would work, but I got tired of it.

I like to fart around with guns, not ammo!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a .45ACP Redding taper crimp die will work on the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP at station 5? Or any other brand that will. I've read that the Lee factory Crimp dies and others definitely won't work because of interference with the ejector wire.

Planning on:

1 - Resize
2 - Expand
3 - Powder Charge
4 - Bullet Seat
5 - Crimp

I'm getting impatient on Midway having the Hornady die in stock and haven't found one elsewhere. They have the Reddings in stock now. I want to pull the cord on this and get it going...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got everything I need for some .45 ACP loads. The Hornady Lock-N-load AP rocks. Had no trouble at all with the press once I got everythig dialed in. It took a few rounds to get the feel for seating the primers but once I got that down it went real smooth. But like others have said, the instructions are just plain lousy. But they are good enough to get you by. I think it's a winner...

Jim Thompson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 550 and 650. I had a problem with the 650 at first. Every once in a while, a 9MM brass piece would come down upside down from the case feeder. It think it came from too many cases put in the hopper at one time. It hasn't happened since then. As far as the ammo quality, they both are excellent. I loaded 9MM on the 550 for awhile and changed it over to the 650 a year later. I use the 550 for .223 and 44 Mag and the 650 for only 9MM. The 550 has had zero problems from day one. Both are great machines. I just couldn't see the added expense of going to the 1050.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 550 and it is ideal for me. I prefer the manual control of the shellplate. I also prefer the priming system on the 550. If you are a high volume (many thousands per month) then go 650.

Good luck,

Alan

Latest posts

Top Bottom