Dillon 550B or XL650?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XDnOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just went through the same ordeal......... 550 or a 650, after having a Lee loadmaster progressive I wanted to stay with a progressive press so the 650 was the one that made it home. I am using Lee dies but they are just long enough to work, after seeing the video on Dillion dies I'm glad I stayed with the Lee dies. Dillon does make wonderful stuff but boy do they know how to complicate things.

The 650 is a complicated machine and if I had not had the experience with the Lee progressive press I would be a little overwhelmed. Even after a few runs with the 650 I wonder if I should have gone with the 550. I did get the strong mount which is THE way to go for mounting and would also suggest getting a few extra primer loading tubes as well

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What extras do I need? I have all the dies I need, can I use them on the Dillons or for some reason I am better off buying theirs?

You can use "non-dillon" dies with a dillon press. Shouldnt be a problem.

From my personal experience, here are some things to opt in for if you go with the 500B:

The aluminium roller handle (trust me, its a wrist saver)
Strong mount (but it really depends on the height of your bench. If you got a high bench, strong mount may *not* be right for you)
Maintenance kit (but, you can go my route and buy some canned air, some motor oil and grease and have everything you need)
Replacement parts kit (this is a must. Really annoying to have to wait on shipping when you accidentally break the tip of one of your primer feeder tubes)

Personally, I also opted in on the "Tool Storage Rack" that mounts to the strong mount. (keeps my allens and wrenches right there where I need them)

Now for 650 vs 550, all you need to consider is how much you are going to switch up dies (how much are you going to jump calibers), how fast you want to go, and how much you want to spend.

I have the 550B and have no regrets. It makes ammo plenty fast, and I dont mind the lack of auto indexing (part of this is that I am a control freak when it comes to reloading and I enjoy the little more control I have with manual index).

Conclusion, as long as its blue, you're good to go, buddy.

robbie1514

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went with a 550b myself about 16 years ago. My Dillon is completly tricked out with tools and the holder. I loaded for quite a few years before I bought a roller handle (should have done it way sooner). I just wished I had another one soo I could leave one set up for large primer and one for small. I bought powder measures for all my different calibers not a necessity but it makes it really handy to swap back and forth..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just went through the same ordeal......... 550 or a 650, after having a Lee loadmaster progressive I wanted to stay with a progressive press so the 650 was the one that made it home. I am using Lee dies but they are just long enough to work, after seeing the video on Dillion dies I'm glad I stayed with the Lee dies. Dillon does make wonderful stuff but boy do they know how to complicate things.

The 650 is a complicated machine and if I had not had the experience with the Lee progressive press I would be a little overwhelmed. Even after a few runs with the 650 I wonder if I should have gone with the 550. I did get the strong mount which is THE way to go for mounting and would also suggest getting a few extra primer loading tubes as well

+10,000 I even have my Hornady LNL AP on one! They are solid as a rock and you can mount trays and stuff on them.

[Broken External Image]

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+10,000 I even have my Hornady LNL AP on one! They are solid as a rock and you can mount trays and stuff on them.

I have been using the Hornady Projector, looking to upgrade.
I have it mounted on a desk that is very strong and heavy and I see no reason to elevate the whole thing, it is comfortable just where it is.
It seems that I will need to buy a new powder measure, it looks like my RCBS will not work. I also need shell plates for every caliber. Easy to change?
Is there a die plate for quick die change?
It would be nice if somebody has owned both a Hornady and an XL650 to tell me if it is worth the extra expense. By the time I buy the basic Press and all the rest of the accessories it will cost quit a bit.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using the Hornady Projector, looking to upgrade.
I have it mounted on a desk that is very strong and heavy and I see no reason to elevate the whole thing, it is comfortable just where it is.
It seems that I will need to buy a new powder measure, it looks like my RCBS will not work. I also need shell plates for every caliber. Easy to change?
Is there a die plate for quick die change?
It would be nice if somebody has owned both a Hornady and an XL650 to tell me if it is worth the extra expense. By the time I buy the basic Press and all the rest of the accessories it will cost quit a bit.

Well if you buy ALLLL the goodies to make your caliber changeovers ultra fast like I do it works out pretty close to the same. There was another thread asking about this the other day.

I buy for each caliber:
Powder metering insert (about $9)
Quick change powder die (about $23)
5 LNL bushings (you can get these in a 10 pack)
Shell plate
Hornady dies (I really like the seating die and you can keep your powder insert in the die box and also the crimp die)
Hornady Taper Crimp die (a lot of people like the Lees and they work in the LNL press w/EZ-Ject)

You don't have to have all this stuff, but man the changeovers are super fast. I will say this. I have the powder cop die and a couple of calibers set up for powder thru expansion. They don't work worth a crap for lead or plated bullets. You can't get enough bell on the case to not shave the bullet when seating. That setup is the shiznit for jacketed bullets though. I pretty much load cast bullets so all I use the powder cop die for is .223.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You can buy the toolheads. I have 3 of them for my 550. Not as cheap nor as fast to change out as simpler presses, but if you aren't doing it often not a big deal. I only reload 3 calibers on mine, .38, 9mm, and .223. And I don't change the loads much at all either. Their auto powder dispenser is a pain to adjust as it's not calibrated; it works by trial and error. I have the roller handle also, definitely a wrist saver compared to the little wooden ball on the handles of my other presses. I don't have the strong mount as my table is high enough with the press mounted directly to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom