Dillon 550B or XL650?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy the toolheads. I have 3 of them for my 550. Not as cheap nor as fast to change out as simpler presses, but if you aren't doing it often not a big deal. I only reload 3 calibers on mine, .38, 9mm, and .223. And I don't change the loads much at all either. Their auto powder dispenser is a pain to adjust as it's not calibrated; it works by trial and error. I have the roller handle also, definitely a wrist saver compared to the little wooden ball on the handles of my other presses. I don't have the strong mount as my table is high enough with the press mounted directly to it.

It literally takes me all of 2 minutes to switch calibers on my 550B. About a minute for the tool head, and a minute to swap shell plates and locator buttons.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It literally takes me all of 2 minutes to switch calibers on my 550B. About a minute for the tool head, and a minute to swap shell plates and locator buttons.

The shellplate must be some sort of quick attach and auto adjusted?

I have a couple of bids on Gunbroker, if I don't get them I'll probably get a new press and keep the old as a standby.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Sure, if you have the toolhead for each caliber, powder measure for each caliber, and don't have to change primer systems. That's all it takes me, but if I was changing to .45acp (small primer to large primer system), and didn't have a separate powder dispenser, it would be a lot longer.

Not saying it negates the pros of the system, but that it isn't as easy as some.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shellplate must be some sort of quick attach and auto adjusted?

I have a couple of bids on Gunbroker, if I don't get them I'll probably get a new press and keep the old as a standby.

Its a learning curve. The shellplate is held in place by an allen bolt. Basically, you just tighten it down till you get stiff movement, then back it out a 1/4 turn (there is also a retention allen in the side to lock everything in place).

Depending on calibers, sometimes you dont have to switch the shellplate. 9mmL and .40s&w use the same shell plate, so all you have to swap is the locator buttons (these are literally buttons that just drop into holes to hold your cases in place. Theres 3 of them)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, if you have the toolhead for each caliber, powder measure for each caliber, and don't have to change primer systems. That's all it takes me, but if I was changing to .45acp (small primer to large primer system), and didn't have a separate powder dispenser, it would be a lot longer.

Not saying it negates the pros of the system, but that it isn't as easy as some.

Dude, I hate dinking with changing calibers. I have 2 quick change setups for 9mm alone so I dont have to reposition my seating die for different weight boolits.

So yeah, I always spring for a powder measure for every die set.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DONOT buy a used Dillon, unless you know the seller and they guarantee ALL the parts are there.

due to complexity of Dillon press ... if you are not familiar with how they work.... just trying to figure out what is missing will be a Major PITA!

purchased from another OSA member a Dillon 550B press for $425 .. then ended up spending another $235 from Dillon buying all the missing pieces necessary to make it work.

if I had to do it all over again... probably would have purchased a 550B from Brian Enoes, just to get the support.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DONOT buy a used Dillon, unless you know the seller and they guarantee ALL the parts are there.

due to complexity of Dillon press ... if you are not familiar with how they work.... just trying to figure out what is missing will be a Major PITA!

purchased from another OSA member a Dillon 550B press for $425 .. then ended up spending another $235 from Dillon buying all the missing pieces necessary to make it work.

if I had to do it all over again... probably would have purchased a 550B from Brian Enoes, just to get the support.

This or directly from Dillon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom