Dillon 550B Press Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, and possibly lady(ies), thank you for the assistance and feedback. I love my Dillon already, just this one quirk had me at loving it, and not being in love with it. I am going to be looking into all of this, just as soon as I get back from the American Legion tonight. I just wanted to take a moment and say thank you and let ya'll know it is not falling on deaf ears.

I used my Lee for a couple of years, then life got in the way, it got mothballed, and well, it wound up rusting, and I don't know where it is now. I think it made the move from Fort Hood to here.......I think.

Right now I am reloading .223/5.56 (Hornady V-Max 53 grain using 22 grains of IMR 3031, but looking at a possible change), and .40 S&W (180 Grain using IMR 700X). Shopping around on dies for my 30-06 and .45 ACP, but not jumping yet. Also considering the .44, although I have shot a total of 15 rounds in the .44, and none out of the .45. (bought the .44 couple weeks ago in Tulsa and the .45 last night.)

I am not reloading to save money, but to get what I want out of the ammo.

Last edited:

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not an expert........but I have a few things you might try.

Wipe down the inside of the CLEAN and EMPTY powder measure with a fresh dryer sheet.
Squirt it down inside with some graphite (buy from a hardware store or locksmith). Work the measure some to distribute the graphite. Then wipe it down again with a clean dryer sheet or two. This will smooth up the works.

Also, some powders don't meter out as well as others due to their shape. You might google up the powder you are using for problems dispensing.

Again, I'm NOT an expert, so good luck to you. And would you mind posting back what cured the problem?
I'm sure everybody would like to know, for future reference. Gene

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might just be the powder. IMR 700-X is giving me the fluctuations, and after cycling through a full thing of powder.....LONG proces...I am getting more of a fluctuation.

On a different note, I received the Lee Auto Disks today......after a 1/2 hopper of powder, I am getting consistent 3.9 grains. Tried a different setting and could get 3.7, so went with the 3.9 grains.

I am not done with the Dillon Powder Measure, but in the interim, to let me get back to reloading without frustration, I am going with the Lee Measure.

And after tweaking the search terms, there is apparently an issue with IMR powders and Dillon measures not liking one another a whole lot. I am going to contact Dillon and see their take on it.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is good that you are not reloading to save money. It costs less per round to reload but you will end up shooting more and buying more equipment.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find reloading to be kind of relaxing. I can get out there, and block everything else because the cell phone stays in the house. I don't want to be distracted. I do make one confession. There is a few times where there is a Bud Light (Texas strength) on the work bench. When I was married and had less time, it was my escape from the wife, she thought it was the most boring thing in the world.

If I was to be saving money; I would sell my truck, guns, and ammo, and buy a prius. Reloading ain't about saving money overall, it is saving money per round and to get out to the range a bit more.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will be pleasantly surprised with Dillons CS. The one time I needed them they solved my problem in about thirty seconds and didnt treat me like a bother.

The last time I contacted Dillons CS I didnT get the answer I wanted. It was about the rapid trim that was one of my most recent reloading purcheses. The plastic collar that is made to attach a vacuum hose to is the same size as a 1 1/4 inch vacuum hose. I used tape to connect them at first and asked them how they did it. They used tape too.

I found a flexible hose at a hardware store that did the job.

I couldnt believe they used tape too.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So Dillon said that IMR 700X, expect more variance than some others, up to .4 grains (top to bottom). I can handle that.

He also had me tighten down the hex bolt on the side of the actuator for the slide assembly. REALLY SNUG IT UP! Now I am getting variance, but it is only .2 up and .2 down...Well within in acceptables. Not like when I was pushing do not exceed limits on a few.

I thank you to everyone who gave me ideas, suggestions, and patience.

I am thinking I am going to get it figured out here before too long, and be cranking out ammo like there's no tomorrow. Tonight....I am off to try the 1911 out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom