Dillon 550B Press Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I finally got my reloading bench set up with a little help from Harbor Freight Tools (bought a workbench), Black & Decker, Dillon, and the muscles that the US Military showed me how to use in ways that were not natural or right for many years. I sat down, got the indivual dies all set just right, then had to go back and start over because I realized that without running them through in the right order, and just starting at one station, I was actually throwing off the brass (Crushed a few cases by trying to seat a bullet without expanding). Everything was going great!

My 550B I bought in May was finally ready to use (this was on the evening of 1 November.) Well, I load the primer tube, put some powder in the powder measure, and began the process of getting it to the right charge. Got it perfect!

Since it is a new press, and I have been out of reloading for a few years (back to that whole US Military thing and not having a place where I could really set up), I was taking it slow and checking every round. Well, after about 5 rounds or so, I was get .1 grains of drift on the powder charge. I use a midrange load just because, no real reason other than safety and I have used it in the past. I still readjusted it back to the right load. I loaded 15 rounds of .40, then swapped over and got out the .223.

Again, was getting drift. 5 rounds, about .1. I had enough room to play with, I let it go. By round 10, was almost .3 grains different. Anyone else experience this issue, and what was the fix? It defeats the purpose of my upgrading from a Lee Turret Press to one of the upper end models if I am having to constantly adjust powder.

I had already decided I was going to order a second powder measure, one for rifle and one for pistol so I wasn't having to change out charge bars.

What am I doing wrong?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm agast that the awesome blue has issues?

I'm a red fan, but I'm thinking you may be short stroking the handle? The powder measure must make a full stroke, and actually kind of knock on the down stroke to make loads remain consistent. Perhaps an adjustment to the powder measure?

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of the things lee recommends is cycling an entire hopper of powder through the mechanism to coat the inside with graphite from the powder. They recommend just doing it by hand. Not sure if Dillon has the same recommendation.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would agree with you on the short stroke, but everything else is consistent. OAL is perfect, no lack of crimp or inconsistent crimps, and isn't that it is losing grains.......it is gaining them. Went from 3.8 starting to 3.9 on the .40 and from 21.8 starting to 22.1 on the .223.

Thinking I might get a Lee Powder Measure because I never had an issue with the charge with my Auto Disk on my old turret. Wish I knew where it was.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checked the manual, and while I do like the personable way that the manual is written, it lacks a lot in details in a few areas. I have not quite cycled a full thing of powder, have loaded well over 300 rounds, but still having to make adjustments.

Next time I got some time to kill, maybe tomorrow after the meeting, I will cycle through a hopper of powder by hand. Hopefully that will fix it, if not, got the Lee Measures coming from Gander Mountain.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You shouldn't need the lee measures. If cycling some powder doesn't work, keep this thread active. Some of the blue guys that load a lot will check in. Its late, they might check in tomorrow.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
is the powder charge bar closing completely, and opening all the way on every stroke? You can tell if its opening all the way by seeing if the white plastic square that the lever pivots in goes as far as possible forward when pressing down on the ram.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered Lee Measures, not because I lack confidence in my Dillon, but because I do not want to be swapping back and forth all the time on charge bars, and readjusting charges.

I will have one for rifle, probably the Dillon because of capacity, and one for pistol. The Lee powder measures are over 1/3 less the price of a new Dillon and it will work because of the interoperability of the dies, just have to use the Lee Dies, which I have because all of em except the powder expanding die are Lee. I might have Dillon equipment, but I know that Lee makes quality as well.

I always knew that Reloading was a money pit from hell, but damn....having more than one caliber to reload is getting expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom