Reloading 38Spl w/ W231 - dipper vs auto trickler vs Uniflow III

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been using a Uniflow for 40+ years, always get good accurate weights with pistol/shotgun powder.
The trick to getting consistent weights is when you rotate the drum to fill the cavity slightly rotate
the drum back and forth tapping on the stop twice then dump the powder.
TAP TAP dump, TAP TAP dump
Be consistent with the taps, one light one heavy won't cut it.
Once you've learned how to be consistent with the taps you will find it is very accurate.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never used the tools mentioned.

Got started with a boss pro pack

394196EC-BE4E-4D95-BFE4-C79B506F943E.png

Back then it was a hodgdon powder manual.

Added a Redding 3br powder measure and Redding case trimmer next.

Wow! Been around 30 years, I am still happy!

Picked up some more goodies along the way over the years. Not hard to become a reloading addict!

Last edited:

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked at my Lee chart on dippers and the smallest for Win 231 is .30 for 3.2 gr and the next one is .50 for 5.4 grs so not sure the dipper would help you to go faster cause you would still need to use the smallest and still trickle up.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked at my Lee chart on dippers and the smallest for Win 231 is .30 for 3.2 gr and the next one is .50 for 5.4 grs so not sure the dipper would help you to go faster cause you would still need to use the smallest and still trickle up.
I haven't reloaded in a long time so this may not be a help.
Before their current set of dippers (which are in Cubic Centimeters), Lee used to sell powder dippers with a three digit number that were in Cubic Inches (like "020" was .020 Cubic Inch of volume).
I saw a chart one time on the Internet that had both sets of dippers with the charge weights listed for a few of the common powders, but I couldn't find it again with a quick search.
(Of course, I would use a good scale and check the powder charges for myself before I would accept it as the Gospel.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom