Direct TV or Dish..Satellite Television??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fire65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nicole here and I say DISH Network all the way! Not only do they still offer HD programming free for life but they're the only ones to provide live TV programming on your mobile device from any geographical location. I've been on hunting trips and I was able to watch all my programming on my Smartphone as though I were at home. As an employee I know that this is just one example of how DISH is better than cable.

Smartphone, TV, hunting trip. WTF

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DirecTV has awesome HD reception and pretty good customer service. They do hike my bill up every 6 months but I just call them and ask for Customer Retention and they always lower my bill to the same "introductory" offer.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have Dish. I have a basic HD package, 100 channels or so, with a dual tuner DVR (one tuner HD and the other digital) and an extra HD receiver. I have a $35 high def antenna as a back up for storm outages but I haven't needed it in over a year. The best part is that when I go to my place at the lake, I have an antenna set up already. I just plug in my receiver from home and I'm good. My bill is $45 a month. I don't think Cox can touch it. I don't know about Direct TV.

jimktm520

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Satellite is all I can get where I live and have been a Directv customer for over 6 years. Pricing is high but so was cable. During very bad storms, the dense cloud cover will block the signal causing the screen to go blank until the clouds thin out. My Cox cable was not trouble free either. Like telecommunications providers, you only get your best deal when you threaten to leave them. Too bad they will not offer special deals to the loyal customers until you threaten to leave.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Satellite TV does NOT go out when a little cloud goes by. Mine has gone out for a SHORT period of time during a heavy downpour. Oh, by the way how do you think Cox gets their programming???? Ever seen the satellite dishes in their backyard? Even Cox blinks now and then.

Home dishes are small - 12" to 18" or so. The receiver dishes Cox uses are around 10 feet or so in diameter (when I worked at KOKH the dish we had back in '85 was something like 30' in diameter). The larger the dish the more sensitive it is and the the better it can pick up a signal weakened by atmospheric interference. Comparing Cox's ability to pick up their satellite feed to a home dishe's ability is an apples and oranges compare.

That said when my youngest lived in Altus she had satellite and the the antenna in the family's yard was 5' across. Never lost signal. Best non over the air HD I've ever seen. Don't know if getting one of the big dishes installed is an option but if one is concerned with signal loss it might be worth asking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom