Dish or Direct TV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Point taken. But when I had Dish back in Ohio, it seemed even a little drizzle would cause the connection to drop. But maybe that's just the lake weather. I assumed the storms to be more intense here.
Oklahoma's storms are more intense, but you also have to consider that Ohio is farther north, so you're shooting through more atmosphere to get from the satellites to the dish. You may also have had a lousy installer...

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dishnet with the Hopper here.

I've had DN for 6 years, I just upgraded to the Hopper. I think new customers get a free I-pad too...

and if you use me as a referral, we both get some kind of discount.

Pm me, I give you my Deetz.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We switched from Cox to DirecTV when we moved. Get a lot more channels for less. We use an under-eave mount for the dish (screw letting them mess with my roof) and very rarely lose reception even is 50+ winds. We kept Cox for the internet only.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dish here, seldom any problems.

My Hopper connect to the internet, so I still have weather through my broadband on the TV for the few times a year my satellite is affected by storms. Always liked Dish's interface lots better than DirectTV's.

And we can record 3 things at once, plus every major network's PrimeTime every night from 6-10 (this part only stores for a week).

We like it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've had Direct TV since 2003 and have been happy with them. As for loss during storms, I'd say that percentage of time is way less than 1/10th of 1% of the time. Our situation is somewhat different in that we live in an RV. We bought our own satellite "antenna" and Direct TV put in the receiver/dvr for us on our last move. On the rare occasion that we've had a problem, Direct TV had excellent customer service when we called in.

Of interest to me, but not to anyone in Oklahoma, when I did some research for our move to Colorado, I found that Direct TV's rates in Colorado are way less than rates in Oklahoma. So, when we get to our new "home site," I'll be setting up my satellite and calling Direct TV with the hope/intent of getting the lower rate. If they refuse, I can cancel our account and the owner of the RV park can set me up with Direct TV for the Colorado rates.

Either way, I'm good.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had both. Started with Direct and switched to Dish. I think there are small things that draw a person to one or the other. Both are susceptible to blackouts or channel price negotiations. Dish is cheaper after the perks wear out, but I have always been able to call them and say hey direct is offering this or that. Dish always throws a few months (usually 6-18) credit on my bill to stay w/o renewing contract. For me it is a which offers more to me for the money = dish. If you sign up pick a buddy from here (or wherever) and you will both get benefits for the referral (don't think anyone mentioned that).

Pretty sure you could get both if you choose and try them both out, as long as you cancel within 30 days. Look into that bc I am not 100% sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom