Do tell ? Don't tell ? During sell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has no bearing on me whatsoever. Tons of C&R out there with a possible high number of body count attached to them. They get bought and sold every day. That said I think a persons gut should guide them in this situation. When I go against what my gut is telling me I seem to always git bit in the tail for it. On the other side of the coin. I remember hearing in the past that there is a market for "guns that have killed". Could possibly catch a premium from some weirdo. That I don't agree with. To me its like your profiting from the tragedy not the item.

On a sorta related note. I did live in a house for about a year we got at sheriffs sale where a woman hung herself in the library. Only bidders on the house were us, the neighbor, and the sister of the deceased. They didnt have any money so we got it fairly cheap The neighbor thought I was a renter.... introduced himself the same day I moved in and wanted to make sure I knew what happened thinking I would run for the hills (he did the same thing at the sherrif sale). should of seen his face when I was like "so what"?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great quote by Winston Churchill, "With integrity, nothing else matters - without integrity, nothing else matters."

He would certainly be one to ascertain both sides of that coin.

A gun is an inanimate object. As a mil-surp guy, I've often said "I wish this rifle could tell me where it's been". Did my Garand heroically perform at Okinawa? Or was it used to shoot surrendering troops?

Did my K98 execute communists, or was it fired at my uncle when the Americans pushed through to Berlin?

Without documentation "buy the gun, not the story". I've got a pistol that was used in a suicide that broke my heart. I still shoot it occasionally, why I don't really know. Just to show there's no real haunt on the gun - heck, it may even be used to save a life someday.

If I were to sell a gun like that, I probably would say nothing, unless asked. I'd never get rid of that one though, it was my wife's carry gun for years, she only quit carrying it this spring. She's not superstitious either.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ted Kennedy said, "He would certainly be one to ascertain both sides of that coin."

Yes, if one delves into Churchill's life and dealings........ his integrity could be questioned, but with that said; the quote speaks volumes. How many laws could be abolished if people had integrity?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has no bearing on me whatsoever. Tons of C&R out there with a possible high number of body count attached to them. They get bought and sold every day. That said I think a persons gut should guide them in this situation. When I go against what my gut is telling me I seem to always git bit in the tail for it. On the other side of the coin. I remember hearing in the past that there is a market for "guns that have killed". Could possibly catch a premium from some weirdo. That I don't agree with. To me its like your profiting from the tragedy not the item.

On a sorta related note. I did live in a house for about a year we got at sheriffs sale where a woman hung herself in the library. Only bidders on the house were us, the neighbor, and the sister of the deceased. They didnt have any money so we got it fairly cheap The neighbor thought I was a renter.... introduced himself the same day I moved in and wanted to make sure I knew what happened thinking I would run for the hills (he did the same thing at the sherrif sale). should of seen his face when I was like "so what"?
I've heard that during an interview, Audie Murphy mentioned he remembered the serial number of his M1 carbine from World War II and called out the numbers.
Years later somebody saw the interview and the gun was found in the inventory of the CMP.
It didn't get sold and I believe was given to a museum.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard that during an interview, Audie Murphy mentioned he remembered the serial number of his M1 carbine from World War II and called out the numbers.
Years later somebody saw the interview and the gun was found in the inventory of the CMP.
It didn't get sold and I believe was given to a museum.

My neighbor, now passed could rattle off the number on his Springfield. I should have written it down. He said it stayed ready as he tried to sleep in a foxhole early in the Pacific theater.

RIP Orville

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That depends on your ideology. Some people believe that our spirit will attach itself to objects (main cause of house hauntings). If you have no belief in that, I would keep mum as a potential buyer might.

IMO, since the gun didn't cause the death (i.e. bad design led to spontaneous discharge), I wouldn't disclose what the gun was used for.

We bought a house in Stillwater that was the location of a double homicide years before . . . we lived their for just over 3 years. Our oldest was in 1st through 3rd grade at the time and swore the upstairs was haunted at times. I can't say that I ever heard or noticed anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom