do you guys clean your gun before matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I clean my M&P only after it starts malfunctioning or something starts rusting (usually the latter). Right now I'm at about 1,500 rounds and haven't had to take it down. My mags, on the other hand, get cleaned after USPSA matches (or sometimes in between stages) because they get real dirty real fast when you deep six them in sand.

This is not a best-practice, but the polymer guns are capable of running a long time dirty with no decrease in performance. It's what they're designed to do, and I'd rather be shooting than cleaning. YMMV. This is just one guy's opinion, and there are far more qualified shooters on this board who do it differently.

ETA: On the practicing for steel thing...if you're a member at USSA you're obviously in luck. If not, target transitions on paper will achieve the same effect. Either way, come shoot Steel Challenge in Mcloud, OK with us on Sunday! It's going to be a great match.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the Brian Enos forums I read about these guys with STI and Witness pistols going 3,000 rounds between cleanings. Of course they use Slide Glide.

Jerryinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Wait for it to malfunction"... Are you serious? That's your good advice? I will immediately research to find a weapons manufacturer that recommends that strategy. Somewhat akin to waiting for the engine light to come on before putting oil in.

I don't mean to be disrespectful at all, but take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Please don't wait for a potentially dangerous situation to arise just because you don't feel the need to properly take care of your weapon.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please don't wait for a potentially dangerous situation to arise just because you don't feel the need to properly take care of your weapon.

Fortunately, it has been quite some time since anyone was attacked by cardboard or steel and was seriously harmed.

To the OP, it is not uncommon for me to go 1000-1500 rounds before I clean mine thoroughly. I do clean the barrel and oil it prior to each match.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Wait for it to malfunction"... Are you serious? That's your good advice? I will immediately research to find a weapons manufacturer that recommends that strategy. Somewhat akin to waiting for the engine light to come on before putting oil in.

I don't mean to be disrespectful at all, but take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Please don't wait for a potentially dangerous situation to arise just because you don't feel the need to properly take care of your weapon.

In all fairness, he was refferring to his competition weapon, not his defense weapon.
For some people they are the same, but for most of us they are not. He also clarified that this is obviously not the best practice, but has worked for him so far. I don't clean mine before the match, just whenever I feel it's time. Apparently I clean more often than Mike. But, having squaded with him several times, he's doing something right.

Chris_Andersen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a good rule of thumb is to prioritize cleaning your gun based on the stakes at hand. It can be tough to clean it every trip if you shoot alot.

A few trips to the range over a couple of weeks, I dont usually bother, unless I am shooting a ton. (Thats my M&P, My STI I have to clean every 5-600 rds or so. I dont know who those guys are on Enos that claim 3K rounds without a malfunction. Those guns like to be clean.)

Local matches, I usually always clean it the night before.

Major matches, I will take them all the way down, clean everything, and go out to the range and test fire at least 50 or so through it before I leave.

Polymer guns will run for a long time with-out cleaning, but malfunctions tend to happen at the worst possible time. At a local match it could ruin your day, a major match it could mean hours of driving and hundreds of dollars wasted. I had a malfuction at the Pro-Am cost me a gun, and all I did was fail to clean a magazine BETWEEN STAGES.

If this is a gun that you carry, clean it every time you shoot it. The stakes don't get any higher than when you might need that gun to work.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My "comp" gun and carry gun are the same. M&p40. Ive had problems recently of not putting the round I'm the chamber. I think it only does it with federals but since my mags are a mix of ammo theres really now way to tell I have 9 mags and just grab a few when I go shooting. I get to practice a my malfunctions drill tho. Thats a plus.

I carry hornady TAP and have never had a problem. I usually clean my pistol whenever I clean my rifle(s). I've got a few thousand rounds before cleaning and it was still functioning fine but I like extra piece of mind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom