do you guys clean your gun before matches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The most intensive cleaning I do before a match is to wipe all the crap off the barrel when I chamber check ammo. Then a good drenching in Mobil1 and it's good to go. The bottom end gets broken down about every 5-6K.

I took a TDSA class with a dirty gun and it ran all 1,100 LEAD rounds without fail over the next two days. Total round count of 1,500 or so. The crud in the mags will hose my limited gun up far before the stuff in the top end.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vince says you should clean your duty/carry gun once a week. I don't argue with Vince...

I will say that I clean my 1911 more often than I clean my Glocks, and on occasion I clean my revo's...

I have yet to dirty a gun enough to cause it to malfunction and I shoot quite a bit.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"Wait for it to malfunction"... Are you serious? That's your good advice? I will immediately research to find a weapons manufacturer that recommends that strategy. Somewhat akin to waiting for the engine light to come on before putting oil in.

I don't mean to be disrespectful at all, but take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. Please don't wait for a potentially dangerous situation to arise just because you don't feel the need to properly take care of your weapon.

My thoughts... I never understood that thinking.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot glock pistols, benelli shotguns and high end ARs. Even though they would run without it, I always clean before a major match. I always test fire after cleaning before a major match. I clean before a local match if it's been 1000+ since the last cleaning. I try to wipe down after all matches so things don't rust. I try to clean any mag that gets muddy from use in a stage.
I saw the pros at the ProAm cleaning every mag after every stage which us probably a good practice.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a cheap nylon brush about 0.5" in diameter. All it needs to do is remove unburnt powder flakes or similar residue. I also brush under the star.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
still kinda new to this, but my experience has been, especially shooting lead. I give my 1911 a good goin thru to spotless and then put about 100 rounds through it just for safe measure. I once got the prematch jitters and cleaned a cz the night before a match and didn't fire it until the match. The slide locked back after every shot, long match! Come to find out I had bent a little retaining spring unawares! Just one guys approach.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to brush my cylinders after every stage also.

Is this to keep tight brass from getting stuck in the cylinders?

My thoughts... I never understood that thinking.

I'll repeat myself...it wasn't advice, I was just telling him how I do it. I am the extreme of what you can get away with regarding the plastic fantastic. You're welcome to watch how my filthy gun runs at one of the three matches I'm shooting this weekend (OKCGC, Mcloud, H&H).

I have had more than a few striker reset failures but those were not related to cleanliness in my case and it's fixed now.

Trigger bar problems or what?

Latest posts

Top Bottom