Do you like airplanes !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 1983 (36 years ago - man I old) I worked at the Petroleum Helicopter Base at Chennault Airport (where the Thunderbird Video F-16 flew out and landed) back then, there was only one big hanger, and the city used it to store buses:

https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1913/05111ad.pdf#nameddest=(CWF)

I don’t recall any other aviation traffic except our 4 Bell 206L-1 used for the USGS contract -- Transco Pipeline flew there AS355F-1 out of Lake Charles Airport where they had a maintenance base.

That was 36 years ago and I was only there for 4 days.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in love with aviation since I was a kid. Joined the AF to be a pilot, but made a few decisions that led me down a different path. Still managed to become a pilot, just a little later in life than I anticipated. This is my office now. If anyone is interested in learning to fly, I'm also a CFI and would be happy to talk with you about the process.

View attachment 149632

I got my ticket back in 1974. Even then, it was so danged expensive I couldn't afford to fly much. I haven't flown in years.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my ticket back in 1974. Even then, it was so danged expensive I couldn't afford to fly much. I haven't flown in years.

http://www.christiansenflightschool.com/

Cessna 152 w/ Instructor
$153.00 / HR Hobbs Meter

Uncle Sam is the cheapest way to build time if the requirements can be met.
Otherwise one needs a very rich relative to bankroll the flight training.
In fact, a lot of Major Airline Pilots still keep flying in the Guard or Reserves.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The cost of learning to fly professionally has always been the same; it takes everything you've got.

I was fortunate...GI Bill from the AF paid for most of my training. The ROI is not quick either. Many entry level pilot jobs pay less than $40K a year.

I only have 3-4 recreational hours in my logbook. The rest was either flight training, instructing or professional flying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom