Does anybody here remember AMC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it with chicks and weird cars? My GF in the mid-70's had an AMC Gremlin. It looked like a blank flange. When we moved to CO it started overheating bad what with elevation and temperature changes. We had to continue the journey at night.

Young women just think these ugly little cars are "so cute". This includes AMC Gremlin/Pacer and Volkswagen Beetle. My mother was a smart lady and bought a new Toyota Corolla wagon in 1975. Cute and not ugly to boot. mechancially strong and would never overheat like that Gremlin in the moutains or in the flatlands. Younger women often buy something because it's ugly, cute or "I like that pretty little purple one over there". Women often don't give much thought to mechanical soundness or sensibilty when buying an automobile but my mother was no fool when she wisely chose Toyota in the mid '70's. In junior high school, 1978, my grandfather picked me up from school in his '61 Corvair 700 and a girl nearby said it was "cute" and asked me what kind of car it was. She also asked if that was my grandfather. A boy in class also made a comment about my grandpa's Corvair because he would see my grandfather pick me up in it once in a while. It was a very interesting automobile. My family lived right next door to my grandparents in the late 1970's and early 1980's. It's an oddball situation to have one's grandparents as nextdoor neighbors as a teenager. Like a pesky neighbohood dog or cat that hangs around a lot to mooch, I wanted to spend a lot of time at their house because they often spoiled me with sweets and other goodies against my mother's wishes but I digress. The Corvair was weird but not really ugly.

Back to the Gremlin. The car's name sounded fittingly as ugly as the car looked. A GREMLIN is a little mischievious monster that is fabled to cause trouble in airplanes and other machinery. I would have rejected a Gremlin on the sound of the name alone. There was a woman school teacher in the 6th grade who drove a Gremlin circa 1975. She, Mrs. Barrows, was mean, mannish, fat and old and spanked a lot. She onced clunked me on top of the head with her car keys. Only such a mean ugly women would drive such an ugly car named after a mean ugly character. That association with this wicked witch of a school teacher made me hate the Gremlin even that much more. Mrs. Barrows' car was a dark ugly blue to make matters even worse. AMC chose that name as a curse. Nova, as in Chevrolet Nova, means "it does not go" in Spanish.

Last edited:

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeep is a great vehicle
Have three Jeep XJ Cherokees....2000 (urban), 2001 (farm duty), 1999 (mountains/swamps/anywhere prepped). They will go anywhere with minimal mods. Four-wheel drive only allows one to get stuck in places one could not reach with two-wheel drive.......But, those are some great places to be stuck!!!! One meets the nicest people when stuck in a Jeep!!!! The inline 6 is indestructible if one changes the oil regularly. Sadly, rust is their Achilles Heel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom