Does anyone else on the board not like 1911's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're ok to shoot at a range, but I wouldn't rely on one for self defense unless I had a gunsmith on staff to clean it every night and keep it in functional shape.

G26, S&W36, or something else that works for me!

Okay, tell you what... I will offer up my personal pistol against anybody's glock .45 for an actual side by side comparison. But it's not going to be one of these "let's throw it in a sand box and fire it under water" bull crap. Bring me a glock, I'll clean it, along with my 1911 and strip ALL oil and debris from them and reassemble with NO lubrication.

YOU find factory ammo... say WWB and I will build a ransom rest.

So, not only will we run them dry, but we will also take accuracy into account... because I have no doubt that the jagged little hole my 1911 will make will be half the size of the glock... and I can promise you that my 1911 will go at least 1000 rounds with 0 malfunctions.... so you better start taking collections for WWB.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years back there was a guy called Littlemac I believe, over on Glocktalk that ran a 1000rd torture test event. It was VERY interesting to see all the glocks that didn't make it/win it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BS... don't listen to him, he's just trolling.

If you're going to go from that philosophy, then they were both based off of his pocket pistols that were made for .32 caliber... so are the BHP and the 1911's just adaptations of them too?

Not only that, but design on the BHP began in 1914... and wasn't produced until the 30's....

see my above statement...

exactly...

That what I thought and what my impressions of the pistol are. The design hearkens back to his earlier .32 and particularly his .38 ACP pistols, like the Colt M1900 and 1903 Pocket Hammer. And how about the Colt 1905 .45?

aunblinkingeye.com_Guns_1905ACP_922ProtoLS.jpg

The m1911 has been so widely produced since the patents have expired that there is a lot of m1911 trash being built and sold. I am pretty confident that if constructed as Colt and Springfield et al originally did, these reliability discussions would not be an issue. But we have domesticated this combat pistol into a target pistol, and with selective breeding comes comes the expression some undesirable genes.

Again, I like the m1911, but like Whitey the capacity and weight steer me to a polymer handgun. I also prefer the simpler manual of arms and ease of (dis)assembly of most polymer pistols (XDs, M&Ps, Glocks, LCPs, etc...).

I am still curious of Steve's (trolling) answer to this question :D

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, tell you what... I will offer up my personal pistol against anybody's glock .45 for an actual side by side comparison.

Hell, I would just like to shoot it sometime to see what a fine-lookin' home-built 1911 feels like (no offense, I meant this positively).

You can shoot my beat up old XD .40 if it makes you feel better :)

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few years back there was a guy called Littlemac I believe, over on Glocktalk that ran a 1000rd torture test event. It was VERY interesting to see all the glocks that didn't make it/win it.
Do you have a link? That would be an interesting read.

I guess I'm just too passionate. :)

So many people say the 1911's are jammers but most of them haven't held and had a quality one that was built right. I have no problem acknowledging that the glock will shoot a lot of rounds before malfunctioning and that it's a decent pistol... but once people start to drink the plastic kool-aid... they automatically think that all other pistols are junk.

I would like to say "rant off", but I know it won't be.
That what I thought and what my impressions of the pistol are. The design hearkens back to his earlier .32 and particularly his .38 ACP pistols, like the Colt M1900 and 1903 Pocket Hammer. And how about the Colt 1905 .45?

aunblinkingeye.com_Guns_1905ACP_922ProtoLS.jpg

The m1911 has been so widely produced since the patents have expired that there is a lot of m1911 trash being built and sold. I am pretty confident that if constructed as Colt and Springfield et al originally did, these reliability discussions would not be an issue. But we have domesticated this combat pistol into a target pistol, and with selective breeding comes comes the expression some undesirable genes.

Again, I like the m1911, but like Whitey the capacity and weight steer me to a polymer handgun. I also prefer the simpler manual of arms and ease of (dis)assembly of most polymer pistols (XDs, M&Ps, Glocks, LCPs, etc...).

I am still curious of Steve's (trolling) answer to this question :D

Steve is a good guy, and when I say he's trolling, I only do that because he is a buddy... I don't mean it in a bad way at all... just annoying. :) :finger:

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hell, I would just like to shoot it sometime to see what a fine-lookin' home-built 1911 feels like (no offense, I meant this positively).

You can shoot my beat up old XD .40 if it makes you feel better :)

lol, how would I take that as offensive?

I was actually talking about my Nighthawk... there's no way I would put my amateur "gunsmith" skills (or lack there of) against any production pistol, lol. :)

Having said that, you're always more than welcome to come out and shoot either one any time you like... I've got a range, you name the time. :)

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, tell you what... I will offer up my personal pistol against anybody's glock .45 for an actual side by side comparison. But it's not going to be one of these "let's throw it in a sand box and fire it under water" bull crap. Bring me a glock, I'll clean it, along with my 1911 and strip ALL oil and debris from them and reassemble with NO lubrication.

YOU find factory ammo... say WWB and I will build a ransom rest.

So, not only will we run them dry, but we will also take accuracy into account... because I have no doubt that the jagged little hole my 1911 will make will be half the size of the glock... and I can promise you that my 1911 will go at least 1000 rounds with 0 malfunctions.... so you better start taking collections for WWB.

In all fairness my glocks only get 2 drops of oil. No other lubrication, and my .40 has well over 10k through it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 1911 is one of the most versatile pistol designs ever built. It can be made into just about anything, from implement of war to target pistol, ultra compact CCW to hunting handgun. I've owned several and wouldn't hesitate to own another (there are two or three on my "eventually list"). But I currently own none. I just traded off my last one (Wilson KZ-45) for a suppressed Ruger 77/44. My only current .45 is a G-21SF that's been worked by olyeller. With the extended basepad mags, I have 18 rounds or 230gr Gold Dot on tap for HD. An extra mag gives me another 17 if nedded. While I could get an STI to hold as many, it would come at a much higher price point than the Glock.

I like 1911's, but they are far from necessary for my needs. JMO, YMMV

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its probably blasphemy to most on here and hope I dont get banned for saying it... but I do not enjoy shooting 1911's at all. I have fired everything from Taurus to SA to Kimber and I think they all feel clunky and uncomfortable(even though the last Kimber I handled was the tightest assembled gun I have ever held) and if I am out with a buddy who has one and he asks if I want to shoot it i'll say no because I honestly have no desire to shoot one.

Just kinda curious if anyone else feels the same or similar on the topic?

The hanging is at high noon tomorrow!! :nono1:

Actually, I carry a Kimber 1911, Wilson 1911, Springfield Armory XDM 45 or a Glock 22. I like the feel and trigger pull of the 1911's and the higher capacity of the plastic guns. Carry what goes bang when you shoot it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom