Does the .22-250 have enough power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most seven year olds are kinda small for even a youth model centerfire rifle. If he can hit a paper plate with the gun he will be using at the distance he will be hunting he can kill a deer with it. If he will be shooting from a rest the gun size isn't a problem.

Have him shoot the gun is the only way to know for sure if he can handle it.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most seven year olds are kinda small for even a youth model centerfire rifle. If he can hit a paper plate with the gun he will be using at the distance he will be hunting he can kill a deer with it. If he will be shooting from a rest the gun size isn't a problem.

Have him shoot the gun is the only way to know for sure if he can handle it.

This is kinda what im thinking too. My boy is 6. He's average size for his age but still to small for even a youth rifle. But I did find that an AR works pretty good. I'm trying to get him ready to this years youth season so I had him shooting this past Saturday with a .223/5.56 AR at 100 yards. He could keep in on paper at that distance so I figure another month or so of practicing and he can keep it in the kill zone.
Come season I'll be swapping the .223/5.56 out for a 6.5 Grendal with a brake.
Personally I feel that anything with more recoil then the .223/5.56 will be to much for a 6 year old.

Latest posts

Top Bottom